cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blue_Aro
Message 11 of 19

Re: Be warned: sneaky BT Plus Keep Connected get-out clause

Go to solution
Just finished a call with them where they basically said that we don't turn it on unless it's third party issue. They wont turn it on even if my router is failing and I cant get online. To me this is false advertising and mis-selling of a product. I have manager calling tomorrow and will let them know. If response not positive, I will definitely be reporting this and try to make this more widely known
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

See https://www.bt.com/broadband/plus/terms/

Section 10 paragraphs d and e

Guru
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

Seems BT’s pledge/non pledge is getting some attention. The Guardian

Stew

0 Ratings
rockmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution
Wow. That was me 😋. Didn’t hear back from The Guardian so didn’t expect them to follow up. Doesn’t take me much further though other than publicising just how poor this is.
I did see one person in the comments section saying that they had received the unlimited mobile data so sounds like it has been known to work.
For now, the ASA agreed that the advertising wasn’t clear and say they’ve asked BT to change it. I’ve seen no change there.
The Ombudsman has not agreed with me. They say the terms and conditions are clear and BT is abiding by them. Feels like BT can take the money while writing anything they like in their Ts and Cs and they’re covered. Doesn’t seem right. Not quite finished with the ombudsman process yet but don’t have much hope.
0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

We all agree to T&C's, most of us don't even read them and hardly anyone would fully understand them.

"10.b When will I get a Mini Hub? You may be eligible for a Mini Hub if you have a qualifying broadband fault. This includes where we determine that you:

i. have no broadband service; or 

ii. have a continuously dropping connection (5 or more drops in the previous 24 hours). "

That in itself seems straight forward, if BT determine that you have no broadband service then that is a qualifying broadband fault. Then there is:

"10.e.i. When won’t I get a Mini Hub?

You’re not entitled to a Mini Hub (or for your existing Mini Hub to be reactivated) if:

i. Your fault is caused by any planned or unplanned outages on BT's network or any third party service;"

How is a customer expected to understand what 10.b and 10.e.i. really mean? 10.b clearly says that if BT determine that you have no broadband service, then you qualify for a mini hub. 10.e.i. then seems to exclude anything that BT want to, presumably they're classing Openreach as a third party so they could exclude any fault from your master socket to the exchange and beyond.

In reality the average customer is never going to understand the T&C's, therefore a customer should have a reasonable expectation that they will receive what is clearly being advertised, which is 10.b. Can anyone explain 10.e.i. ?

The rest of 10.e is straightforward and fair, obvious exclusions, but the first part is another matter.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

@Andy005 wrote:Can anyone explain 10.e.i. ?

Doesn't it simply exclude disruption to your broadband resulting from a general loss of service as opposed to an issue specific to yours?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

I suppose @pottyperson it depends on how they define 'outage' , would the loss of a Cabinet come under that? I would expect not myself but there have been a number of disappointed Plus customers that can't understand why they've been excluded.

I think that they could have improved the wording, most of us would stop reading at 10.a I think - no broadband means a mini hub.

0 Ratings
Scapegoat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

Due to my own experiences with BTs refusal to help with an outage which was entirely of their making (10 days to resolve!) I put in a complaint to the ASA regarding the TV advert that they were running where a lightening strike kills the internet and they get a mini hub to fix the issue which is something that would not happen due to their existing T's & C's.

Nearly 2 months later and this is the response from the ASA:

"They have agreed to amend their advertising in a way that we consider will resolve the complaint without referring the matter to the ASA Council, and we will consequently be closing our file.  BT accept that the terms and conditions could have been clearer and the current wording is being amended so that it does not suggest the type of “unplanned outage” shown in the ad will not be covered.  Once this amendment is made it will be clear that a hub would be provided in such scenarios."

Checking the T's and C's now, the 10. e. i . unplanned outage clause has now been removed.

Sometimes it's worth using the official channels... 

rockmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution
that's really good news - their Ts &Cs actually seem reasonable now!
0 Ratings