Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drew_h
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Being Charged £363.19 to end contract

Go to solution

I just received a text and had an email the other day saying I’ll owe BT £363.19 to end my contract early.  Last Friday I was told by a representative that I wouldn’t be held to term, because I was given wrong advice by a representative when I up-graded from infinity 1 to 2. Originally they said there was no record of the advice given by chat, until I said I kept a screen shot, then magically they found it.

When I received the email I phoned BT and complained.  The guy said there were no notes on file saying I wouldn’t be held to term.  He said the call I made last Friday was recorded, so I asked for a copy (not received yet).  He said another department would be dealing with and couldn’t give me an answer to if I would be held to term or not. I pointed out that I would not have signed up for EE if I had been told last Friday I’d be held to term. 

How can I get this resolved quickly?  Its likely if I phone again I’ll get the same “its been sent to another department who’ll contact you within 3 days”, but which 3 days they never say.

I’m not sure now if I should cancel the move to EE, but would BT then see that as me agreeing to the price I’m paying rather than what I was told I’d pay.  Its really scummy how they tell you one thing over chat and phone calls, then do something completely different and say there is no record of it.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Being Charged £363.19 to end contract

Go to solution

So did you just revert to your existing Infinity 1 contract, or did you cancel that as well, which would explain the charges?

It sounds like the whole service was cancelled by mistake, is that the case?

When they said you would not be held to term, I expect they were talking about the Infinity 2 contract which was mis-sold?

0 Ratings
drew_h
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
When I upgraded to infinity 2, I asked if I would still get the previous discount for messing up the original order last December, I was told "sure it would". I reworded the question several times to make sure they understood the question. This discount has not been added to my bills since upgrading to infinity 2. Last Friday the BT lady I spoke to by phone said they could not honour this and I was given misinformation by the BT representative I spoke to on live chat. She said I wouldn't be held to term, so I could sign up with EE without having to pay for the 14 months left of my contract. She said she would put notes on my account and I could either terminate there and then, but would lose service, or move to EE. I signed up for EE and have had 2 messages, one by email and one by text, saying I will owe BT £363.19 for ending my contract early. I don't have £363.19. Incidentally my BT bill is over £60/month since the price rise. When I upgraded to infinity 2, with the previous discount, it should have been the cheapest option. EE will only be £29/month, including anytime calls, but only 38Mb. If BT won't honer what I was told last Friday, then I need to stop the EE move NOW! I Don't have the £363.19 plus the £60+ bill for this month. If they try and take that there will be bank charges. I don't see why when I phoned I couldn't be given a definite answer. I'll try again this evening, but if a Mod can help before the 29th, I'd appreciate it.
0 Ratings
drew_h
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
The Infinity 1 contract was for 12 months and would have ended in December, if I han't upgraded to infinity 2 when BT sent me the offer.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
drew_h
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks.
0 Ratings
StuartH
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @drew_h

Can have this looked at you, send us in your details using the contact the mods link.

Might be start of the week before we can get back to you.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
drew_h
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for the call today. Hopefully the move to EE will go smoothly.
0 Ratings
drew_h
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Just a follow up. I've received my final bill from BT and was in credit by ~£60. Thanks for your help. My move to EE went without problems. Although had to use the EE bright box 2 router, because the EE broadband username and password are too long for the HH5. I'm paying ~£30 less per month, but I did go for EEs equivalent to infinity 1 and with BT I was on infinity 2. I'm getting perfect 40/10 connection speeds, on infinity 2 I got about 60/15. Not noticing the difference.
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @drew_h Thanks for coming back with an update after the final bill and I'm sure that @RobbieMac who was dealing with your case will be glad to hear all was OK.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings