Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-Richie-
Guru
Message 11 of 14

Re: Best time to transfer out/cancel?

Go to solution

@old_emailwrote:

Have people not complained to Ofcom?  Contract entrapment? I was lucky it seems to have got my 2 year deal brought forward from November to May last year.

Line rental saver and renewing for discounts are optional, you're not forced to renew, the service will continue on a standard monthly charge on a rolling 30 day contract.
If you commit to a minimum term, BT reward that loyalty with a discount.
Line rental saver is also refundable, you leave with 6 months remaining, you'd get a 6 month pro-rata refund.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 12 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @old_email. No, if you cancel your broadband contract early you pay a percentage of the remaining amount owed which is worked out using the calculations I mentioned above. That's why I recommended the first option you suggested as it's the best way to avoid a cancellation charge. 

The discount you get for line rental saver works out at 1-months free line rental over the course of the year, if you don't renew it for the remaining 3 months it's going to cost you approx £5 more for your line rental over that 3 month period. 

If you really wanted the line renal saver discount for the remaining months you could renew it again in 2022 and the remaining credit will be refunded on the final bill as it can be cancelled at any time without penalty.

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 14

Go to solution

@NeilO 

If you really wanted the line renal saver discount for the remaining months you could renew it again in 2022 and the remaining credit will be refunded on the final bill as it can be cancelled at any time without penalty.

That's the piece I was missing.  So I get refunded the unused line rental (either LRS or the monthly amount) pro-rata if I cancel on the last day of my Broadband deal, 31 May 2022l providing I give the statutory notice.  That's fair enough.

At the moment I suspect, as no doubt others are finding out, that 4G offers better speeds than copper,  and landline use has diminished.  But who knows what the next 12 months will bring.  I'll renew the LRS tomorrow.  Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 14

Go to solution

@NeilO 

I thought it was all clear and I've just renewed the LRS on-line and the order states:

Line Rental Saver
You've paid £219.84 upfront. As the cost of your broadband package includes line rental, we'll credit your bill with £19.99 a month for 12 months. There's a 12-month minimum term. You've got 14 days from the day your service starts to cancel Line Rental Saver and get a refund, but you'll have to pay for anything you've used up to the date you cancel.

The 12-month minimum term seems at odds with the discussion so far.  If it means something different then it is not well expressed.

0 Ratings