cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sheppy1
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Billed 4 an account that I have never had, at a premises I left 3 years ago, BT engaged debt agency!

Go to solution
I ran a business at xxxxx Farm for 35 years as a tenant, we retired on the 29th September 2017, closing all BT accounts and paying all dues. 

Late in September 2020 I had a call from the current occupier of the premises saying there was a letter from BT re an overdue account.  Note the premises had been sold twice from September 2017 until September 2020 and both occupants had set up BT accounts!

The account number WMxxxxxxxxx was not an account I recognised from my records so I rang BT billing on the 29th September 2020 to discuss.
I was informed that due to transfer of systems within BT there was a rare but known problem in that new accounts were activated for old customers, I was assured that this would be cancelled and the account deleted and I could be sure of no further contact. 

I specifically said I was concerned that BT might issue a debt collection notice and I did not want any bad marks on my credit rating- I have been in  business for 40 years and have never failed to pay a bill on time!

Today I have been informed by a close neighbour that he has received a letter partially addressed to me from Avantis (debt collection) who have been engaged BT's behalf to make pay the outstanding sum.

Apart from BT's incompetence it seems to me you have undertaken a number of actions that are potentially illegal;
1. You opened an account without my permission.
2. You have billed me for a service I have not received
3. You have given my details to a third party where you have no relationship with me as a customer breaking GDPR.
4. You have potentially impacted my credit rating through NO fault of my own.

Suggestions?
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Billed 4 an account that I have never had, at a premises I left 3 years ago, BT engaged debt age

Go to solution

@Sheppy1 

As this was a business account, you would need to ask for advice on the BT Business Forum.

https://business.forums.bt.com/

Sheppy1
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Re: Billed 4 an account that I have never had, at a premises I left 3 years ago, BT engaged debt age

Go to solution
Thanks I have now posted there but its a pretty dead forum, does anyone from BT read it?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@Sheppy1 wrote:
Thanks I have now posted there but its a pretty dead forum, does anyone from BT read it?

As with this forum, the only BT Employees are the moderators, everyone else would be just customers, who are probably too busy keeping their own business going, to post on the forum.

This residential forum is far more active, but cannot help with business issues.

The usual advice for residential customers is on this post.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/Default-Notice-on-my-Credit-File-Fuming-with-BT/m-p/1655...

Please bear in mind that the moderators of this forum cannot help with this.

You might be better contacting BT Business billing.

Sheppy1
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Yes I will be contacting BT Business Billing first thing in the morning, but as a BT employee you have to agree its an appalling way to treat a customer who has (and still is on a residential contract) been with them for 40 years!
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Sheppy1 wrote:
Yes I will be contacting BT Business Billing first thing in the morning, but as a BT employee you have to agree its an appalling way to treat a customer who has (and still is on a residential contract) been with them for 40 years!

I am not a BT Employee, everyone here, apart from the moderators, are just residential customers like myself.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

BT Business phone number is 0800 800 152

0 Ratings
Sheppy1
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks
0 Ratings