cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unwina
Expert
Message 1 of 7

Billing period for out of plan call (700 mins plan)

Hi just a quickie, having not paid for an out plan call in years my wife made a call 2 days before our latest billing that took us over the allowed 700 minutes. I've calculated what i think the cost should be, @ 60p a minute, but despite our latest bill stating we went over plan by a no of mins there is no actual charge appearing on the bill that was created 2 days later and dated 24th Feb.

Is this just a case that it bills for calls next month or is this an error. There is nothing on the current bill that i can see that suggests this may be the case but then having worked for BT for 35+ years (I left 10 years ago) I find, along with virtually everyone I speak, that BT billing has always been somewhat mysterious to put it mildly.

Anyway if anyone knows when out of plan calls are billed then please advise. I'm assuming it will be next month but its not clear.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Billing period for out of plan call (700 mins plan)

Are you checking your bill via MyBT? If so, you can obtain a number of detailed breakdowns, especially of the phone calls.

0 Ratings
unwina
Expert
Message 3 of 7

thanks, I know i have used too much it says so in the online calls system for the period but the online bill (PDF) does not reflect it. I've just had an email from bt to say my bill is ready i'll check again. The bill says same as before ...

Plan summary
Minutes

You've gone over your allowance, our unlimited plan may be more suitable for you. For more information visit bt.com or log into My BT. 

Usage summary view detailed usage on page 4
Call Type                  No. of calls     Min:Sec    Cost (£)
UK mobile       In plan         18          125:04       0.00
UK phone line   In plan         39          667:25       0.00
Totals                          57          792:29       0.00

but it says nothing about the actual payment for the out of plan calls. It gives a table of the calls and clearly shows the call that caused the over use of the allowance. Perhaps it's a case of calls are paid for in the next bill who knows.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

I believe you're not charged for going over however if it happens 2 months running you're then changed to unlimited automatically

0 Ratings
unwina
Expert
Message 5 of 7

I hope not, i don't need that option and certainly don't want to pay for it it was a mistake I forgot to tell the wife we were close to our buffer.
Whilst i am expecting to be charged for using the extra but it may not appear until next month i'm not sure i'd be happy having to go back and stop the higher amount i don't think i've agreed to it yet. We have already saved enough since starting 700 from the previous unlimited before the price change to cover the bill for the extra call. My wife now knows i need to check near the end of the month or better still not spend 90 mins on a call musing the day so to speak. 😉

Is the auto switch in the terms by chance .... anyone know if this is the case.?

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Yes, it's in the terms, from the terms at https://www.bt.com/landline/deals/

700 Minutes: 30 day minimum term. 700 inclusive anytime minutes to UK landlines, UK mobiles and 0845 and 0870 numbers excluding the Channel Islands. Maximum of 150 calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers. If you exceed your 700 Minute calling plan allowance two months in a row we’ll move you onto our Unlimited Minutes plan. 

0 Ratings
unwina
Expert
Message 7 of 7

That's interesting as i was looking at the most recent tariff guide located in this page

https://www.bt.com/legalstuff/

where the latest tariff guide detailed in section 2 is here

https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf?s_cid=con_FURL_tariffguide

which curiously is dated 10th feb 2021 and even more curiously itself point to here

http://www.bt.com/tariffguide

which in itself point to itself, i guess because it is now after that date.. The previous tariff guide also does not mention the items you mentioned although now i know where to look i can see it does say what you suggest.

I find it interesting that one is supposed to know "exactly" where to look to find the relevant document. 

Either way i'll make sure we do not spent more money on the phone than we need to. Still expecting to be charged though. Can't believe that BT is going to miss a trick....

0 Ratings