cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Blatant contract changes disguised as price increases - nice try BT but you've been rumbled

In October 2016 I took out a 24 month contract for a package that consists of broandband and calls. At that point I had advance line saver rental which had begun in January 2016. The package I took out in October was called "Broadband and calls" and appears on my bill as such. I agreed that the cost of this package would be £9, i.e. £26 for broadband and calls less a £17 "disccount". I was aware of and accepted the conditions of the contract, including, that if the price rises FOR THIS CONTRACT then I would pay more. So if £26 rose to £28 say, I would then be paying £11. All fine. 

In January 2017, I renewed advance line rental saver for 12 months by making a one-off credit card payment. I understand that broadband requires line rental, although contractually I have one arrangement for broadband and calls and another for line rental.

On my latest bill, I see that my package has changed and now consists of broadband, calls and line rental! The package is still called "Broadband and calls"! The price is £47.49.

NOTE: BT cannot do this legally. 

I signed up to a contract for broadband and calls (ONLY) for a specific period and I agreed pricing - and a discount from the price for broadband and calls (ONLY) - for that specific package on that basis. My October contract doesn't include line rental - I have a separate arrangement for line rental over a different period, with its own terms.

BT are now riding roughshod over my contract for broadand and calls - effectively attempting to introduce a new contract (with additional products) by stealth under the guise of a new package that adds line rental (while still calling the package by the same name). 

Prior to the bill I DID NOT SIGN UP TO NOR WAS I OFFERED a contract that manages broadband, calls and line rental together for the same period. BT have no right to impose this on me, let alone dress it up as a price change. 

This isn't about price changes. This is about contractual changes and legal responsibilties. BT are hiding behind this being a price change when in fact it is a contractual change. Enforced contractual changes have implications and through an official compalint BT have just found out from me what these are!

Don't let yourself be screwed about by BT either.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Blatant contract changes disguised as price increases - nice try BT but you've been rumbled

@xmarksthespot BT have recently changed the format of our billing for all customers to now include the line rental in your package costs. This has not altered the contract you agreed to in October, the package is the same it's just shown on the bill with line rental costs inlcuded to make the pricing of your service clearer.  This link explains the changes in more detail Line rental included in your package.

xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Re: Blatant contract changes disguised as price increases - nice try BT but you've been rumbled

@NeilO - oh dear, sucked in by your company's marketing spin - even to the extent that you then provide me with a link to the marketing spin! There was nothing unclear previously about my bill, so I can do without the usual patronising "keeping it simple for customers" line from BT.

Here's the reality. I had a contract for line rental up to Jan 2018 only. Nothing gives BT the right or authority to unilaterally decide to extend my line rental beyond Jan 2018 let alone charge me. Also nothing gives BT permission to tie line rental to my existing broadband and calls contract that runs until Oct 2018? Billing format change? Hee hee. What nonsense.

So is line rental part of my contract now? Of course it is. That's an enforced contract change. And when the package prices rise again this time it will be a rise to X+Y rather than X alone, where X=broadband+calls and Y=line rental. Yet my discount is fixed at Z. Perhaps BT is planning to keep the line rental portion fixed? There goes that flying pig...

@NeilO- your naive reply suggests you need some training in contract law, or else I suggest you stay well clear of the subject if you don't know what you're talking about, especially when many others do.

I'm looking forward to BT's official response to the complaint...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Do post back and let us know the outcome.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 13

Not sure what your point is. The contract end dates have not been altered, no price increase. Each month you will charged but recredited back for the line rental - for as long as you have paid LRS upfront. 

So what exactly is your point?

Stew

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

@StewM - let me make it easy for you by breaking it down into simple questions one at a time.

Is line rental now part of my contract? YES or NO?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Which contract would that be?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

@xmarksthespot The simple answer is No. Your line rental saver agreement is still separate from your calls and broadband contract.

Guru
Message 9 of 13

Ahh, that's your point. You want to insult people.

Stew

xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

@StewM - Sorry you couldn't understand the simple question that @NeilO managed to understand.

If you feel insulted by your own lack of understanding and wish to blame that on me then that's your choice.

0 Ratings