cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Armrdillo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Boradband without land line

I'm moving into a new house and fortunately FTTP broadband is available in my are so planning to sign up for that. Since I keep my current home phone unplugged anyway to avoid the nuisance calls, I was going to opt for no land line thinking it'll be cheaper.

However when it came to ordering the broadband, I find that adding a land line has no effect on the quote monthly package price anyway.

So now wondering should I just add a land line even if I won't use it or is there some hidden cost I'm not aware of?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Boradband without land line

you cannot get broadband without a landline whether that is copper or fibre as you need the line for broadband.  all you can do is opt out of having ability to make/receive calls

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Armrdillo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

*Update*

I see what you mean now, when I carried on with the order process it asked me whether I was already paying for a landline and they'll set me up with one if I wasn't.

---------------------

Not sure I understand what you mean. From what I gather, FTTP does not use the BT master socket at all and is a direct cable inside the house?

Regardless, I do already have a telephone socket in the house so was just wondering if there was any downside to activating a land line even if I don't need it.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

FTTP still requires a fibre 'line' to receive broadband similar principle to ADSL/FTTC requires a copper 'line' .  you pay for the rental of the line.

there is no downside to getting the ability to make calls apart from the scam calls but you can always just connect phone is you want to make a call

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings