Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
oksnab
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Broadband Excess Usage charges - when do they apply

Go to solution

Can anyone clarify - if you overun you internet usage for one month do you still get charged for the excess ?

in Stephanie's post

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Broadband-usage-charges-explained/td-p/868486

it states ....

''Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance and will be shown on your BT bill.''

which my interpretation is that if you only run over for one month you dont get charged.

is this correct ??

thanks

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Broadband Excess Usage charges - when do they apply

Go to solution

Hi oksnab,

Welcome to the community!

We'll email you to let you know when you've reached 80% of your usage in the first month and you wouldn't be charged unless the usage was exceeded in the second month.  

Obviously if you are receiving these emails in your first two months of service you may want to consider upgrading your broadband option that has a usage level that best suits your needs.

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

RobbieMac  see this link re charges - there is no mention of the one months grace http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/kw/usage/c/346,402,424

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Nor is it mentioned in the advice page. I thought the month's grace was dropped some time ago and seem to remember it being covered on this forum at the time.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Sorry guys,

Maybe I'm a bit out of date here Smiley Embarassed

I'll find out what the story is and I'll post back in a bit.

Robbie

0 Ratings
oksnab
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks Robbie -I await your response

I started in Dec , no problems then but ran into issues this month , the billing have been contradictary lady yesterday said I wouldnt be charged but when I rang for confirmation today was told by another agent in Billing that I would.

so your confirmation would be welcome

cheers

0 Ratings
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

@RobbieMac wrote:

Sorry guys,

Maybe I'm a bit out of date here Smiley Embarassed

I'll find out what the story is and I'll post back in a bit.

Robbie

RobbieMac

Any success in getting a definitive answer? This thread was getting a bit lost so I thought it might be useful to bump it given that there has been discussion of the topic in other threads.

Michael
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Here's what I posted (straying off-topic in a related thread).....

(and it's very telling that someone posted in the same thread "re a month's amnesty... Well, I was told 'not to worry' by BT on 12/01/2014 because this was the first time I would go over my monthly allowance... that conversation wasn't recorded so I have no proof!" - evidently even BT staff are confused Smiley Very Happy)......

This is the first month in which I have exceeded my allowance. "Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance". If I exceed it for a second month charges will be applied.

This page:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/assets/downloads/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

reads:

Additional usage charges
If you exceed the usage allowance for your chosen BT Total Broadband or BT Infinity option, you'll be charged for any additional usage in units of 5 gigabytes (Gb), at £5 per 5Gb or part thereof.

That's all.

The link text I quoted links to this page:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Broadband-usage-charges-explained/td-p/868486 (my bold)

that goes further, and qualifies what is said on the former page. Explained. Clarified. Qualified.

(fixing bad link)

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Broadband-usage-charges-explained/td-p/868486

If you exceed your usage allowance, you'll be charged for additional usage in units of five gigabytes (GB), at £5 per 5GB. Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance and will be shown on your BT bill. (my bold)

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I've received word back and if you're not on an unlimited package and exceed the usage for your option, charges will apply from the first month.

We're very sorry for the confusion, this was an oversight on our part.  We've also updated our sticky here to reflect the new terms.

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings
markgraham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Re-Broadband-usage-exceeding-monthly-limit/td-p/1134656

RobbieMac

Thanks for your reply, not sure if you've seen this other relevant thread - a few of us seem to have had unexplained data use shown on our accounts which is why we're interested in the charging policy.

0 Ratings