Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Broadband Excess Usage charges - when do they apply

Go to solution

@RobbieMac wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've received word back and if you're not on an unlimited package and exceed the usage for your option, charges will apply from the first month.......

Robbie

.... from February 2014 onwards, Robbie?

Thank you, that is a significant change of policy.

There will no doubt be some customers who received the warning email, and might have not strained to keep below the threshold for that month, safe in the knowledge, confirmed by BT, that charges would apply from the second month of excessive use, and only then, come the next month and subsequently, would have ensured that everyone in the household was aware of the limits, and would take care not to exceed it.

May we please have word back on that too, while the issue is still hot between you and whoever that was, in other words that the new policy will come into effect only from February, given that some might have already exceeded the limit for January under the old guidelines.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

Just for the record, this is what BT was advising customers up to and including Jan 20 2014 on this page:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Broadband-usage-charges-explained/td-p/868486

Your service won’t be affected if you go  your monthly usage allowance, but you will be notified via email if you reach 80% (if you’re on a 40GB limit product) or 70% (if you’re on a 10GB limit product) of your usage allowance each month, and a further email if you exceed your allowance in a particular month.

We will send emails to your active BT primary email address (e.g. btinternet.com) that was set up when you ordered broadband or an alternative email address that you have given us for the purpose of contacting you.

If you exceed your usage allowance, you'll be charged for additional usage in units of five gigabytes (GB), at £5 per 5GB. Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance and will be shown on your BT bill.

(my bold - that sentence was not removed until Jan 21 2014)

So if anyone finds that BT is charging for the first month of excessive usage, you might find that useful if you decide to dispute a bill.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

Robbie, can you please not allow this to go cold? I assume you have already got back to whoever it is, but please impress upon them the urgency of the matter.

February bills are looming, forewarned is forearmed, and I really do need to know if I am going to be charged for excessive use in January - the first and only month in which I have exceeded the limit. If so, I must pre-empt the issuing of the bill as soon as possible.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

Hi Flo,

Thanks for posting. You’ll see we’ve updated the sticky, sorry for any confusion there. The changes actually came into effect in August 2013.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

@DavidM wrote:

Hi Flo,

Thanks for posting. You’ll see we’ve updated the sticky, sorry for any confusion there. The changes actually came into effect in August 2013.

Cheers

David

Thanks David.

Unfortunately whoever made the changes did not bother to ensure that the changes were notifiied clearly to all customers and were reflected consistently on all BT's web pages. The result was that the paragraph "If you exceed your usage allowance, you'll be charged for additional usage in units of five gigabytes (GB), at £5 per 5GB. Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance and will be shown on your BT bill " will have been interpreted to mean just that... from the second month .... a two-strikes-and-your-out policy, a waiving of charges for the first month of transgression, however one wishes to describe it. It is not the customers' fault that they failed to understand, and customers should not have to suffer financially for BT's misleading information.

That page clearly said it was an explanation of charges, and customers will have interpreted it as just that - an enhancement of the T&Cs - and many, like me, will have acted accordingly - right up until January 20 2014.

I appreciate that the changes actually came into effect in August 2013, but you have not answered the crucial question that is highly relevant now that you have acknowledged that the confusion was of BT's own making: will BT apply such charges to the first month of transgression only from February 2014?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

@DavidM wrote:

Hi Flo,

Did you really mean "these changes" David? Or "this change"? I ask because there has been only one change has there not? i.e. in August 2013 BT apparently abandoned the policy of waiving charges for the first month of excessive BB data transfer. I don't wish to be caught out by any other changes of which I am ignorant, so please let us know if there have been other changes of which we might not be aware. (This is not not-picking; it is all about communicating. As Taffy078 has analysed on another thread, it is very important that BT communicates clearly and unequivocally, and uses language that conveys the right information to customers.)

Anyway, I had no idea that this particular change had been made. Maybe I was distracted at the time, or very busy, or was away, because I was totally ignorant, until your post on this thread, that BT had removed the waiving of charges for the first month of exceeding the limit.

Therefore I'd be grateful if someone can please tell me:

1. Did you receive a relevant email around August 2013 informing you of the change(s)?

2. Did BT publish any update on any of their web pages to inform customers of this significant change from the two-strikes-and-you're-out policy in BB Terms and Conditions?

or

3. Am I right that BT made the change to a one-strike-and-you're-out policy without telling any of their customers at all, until posts from Robbie and David on this thread, five months after the change?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution
have just read this thread and doing a google search found this page which appears to make things clear any extra usage will be shown on your next bill and an email confirming that will be sent http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/~/broadband-usage-policy
0 Ratings
Highlighted
oksnab
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution
robbie . thanks for the update. can i suggest that the post at the beginning of the bill section explaining charges is updated to reflect this change in BT policy as it is misleading. thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

@oksnab wrote:
robbie . thanks for the update. can i suggest that the post at the beginning of the bill section explaining charges is updated to reflect this change in BT policy as it is misleading. thanks.

You mean this one, oksnab?

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Broadband-usage-charges-explained/td-p/868486

If so, then this bit was removed on Jan 21 “Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance and will be shown on your BT bill.” - see Robbiemac's post on page 1 of this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

@john46 wrote:
have just read this thread and doing a google search found this page which appears to make things clear any extra usage will be shown on your next bill and an email confirming that will be sent http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/~/broadband-usage-policy

What's not yet clear is when BT will apply the charges that will be applied for exceeding the limit.

No matter what BT says in T&Cs and the link to which you refer, it is abundantly clear that BT clearly stated, up to and including Jan 20 2014, on this page

that “Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance and will be shown on your BT bill.”

This was an oversight on the part of someone within BT. I can't find any evidence that BT informed its customers, either by email or by announcement on these or any other BT Help pages, around August 2013 of the change in Usage Charge Policy that the Mods apparently only very recently discovered was made then; I've asked in an earlier post on this thread, but nobody has come forward yet, and I assume that those who amended the T&Cs were ignorant of the BTCare forums "Broadband-usage-charges-explained" page, and failed to alert even their own staff - the Mods here - to the change. (Mind you Robbie's sentence is tacfully ambiguous "this was an oversight on our part"... hmmm... "our" meaning corporate BT, or Mods?). It was plainly an easy job to remove the offending phrase given that these threads and posts are under Mod control, and I imagine that our alert Mods would have deleted the sentence with due alacrity had they been informed way back in August.  So although that page has at last been amended, nevertheless there it was, in black and white, as plain as a pikestaff, and BT is duty-bound to abide by that, and must not charge customers who have transgressed in any single month up to and including January 2014.

If I receive charges on my February or March bill for my one month of excessive usage (January) BT will incur all the wrath that I can muster, and I will dispute them all the way to the Small Claims Court if necessary.

PS. When logging off I spotted on this page a nice clear....

Announcements
Fraudulent call centres impersonating BT

Tell the family to be vigilant of unsolicited calls from people claiming to be from BT, see our guide on staying safe here

Now why did BT not think, way back in August 2013, to proclaim, on that same location:

Announcements
Changes to Your Broadband Usage Policy

We no longer allow customers a waiving of charges for the first month of exceeding your BB data transfer limit; full details here....

?

That would have been courteous and very helpful. Instead we have endured months of uncertainty and wasted time and effort sorting out this mess.

0 Ratings