cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Broadband Package changed with no notification.

I have been on the Fibre 2 package for my broadband.  I received my BT bill for August and notice that it now says :-"Here's your bill for August. Thanks for choosing BT Halo."   There have been offers previously in My BT offering it for £8 extra per month but I never went for it---happy with what I had currently. I have had no communication from BT that this would be happening so phoned them today. The guy (Chris in Newcastle) can't tell me either why it has changed but can see it was changed on the 13th. He will feed it back so I might hear something from BT.  There has been no change to the price nor my line speed but for how long---        Looking at the differences given now in My BT as regards speed  with Halo 1 and what I was given for Fibre 2:-

Halo 1  [Fibre 2]     Normal Speeds   Down 25-41 Mbps          [43-62]

Upload  5-7  Mbps             [11-17]

Minimum Download      18 Mbps            [37]

These are quite drastic changes.  Don't know what will happen in December when the contract is due for renewal.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their package being changed and no info from BT?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband Package changed with no notification.

BT are currently in the process of giving out free upgrades and in some cases price reductions, it has no impact on your contracted duration, you only gain from it, you won't pay more.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your reply.  

So why don't BT tell people they are doing this? Ends up just creating confusion. The message in the bill implies it was me who initiated the change and I couldn't think how I had. Even when I phoned BT for clarification, the guy couldn't explain it.  That was the reason for posting on the forum.

Seems to me like an underhand way of telling me that come contract renewal, I'll have to accept the reduced speeds as are now listed in My BT, or pay more to upgrade.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 8

You would of been notified, might be worth checking your spam/junk folders or checking your email is up to date.
Fibre 2 and Halo are the exact same speeds, up to 80 mbps down and 20 mbps upload (Speeds vary depending on distance from the cabinet (PCP) and other factors).

You're also now covered by the Halo 1 benefits listed at www.bt.com/halo and your price won't jump up when the discounted period ends, Halo has no out of contract increase.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

BT changed my package to Halo 1(on price change I agree). This was noted on my BT account before I knew anything about it.  I got a  generic flyer through the post inviting me to change and then noticed on my account that I already had been. If there is no change to the contract then why is communication so poor and the line about "check in your spam and that your email is up to date" is just nonsense although I have. BT just communicated very poorly on this issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 8

@Jeremy69awrote:

If there is no change to the contract then why is communication so poor and the line about "check in your spam and that your email is up to date" is just nonsense although I have.

If my reply is nonsense, this will be my last, BT have notified people in advance, another email comes from when the change is made.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

It is simply not true that they notified all people in advance. I got no email to spam or otherwise. My package was changed with no reference to me. No email has been received at any point on this topic before or after the unasked for change. Emails are received from BT concerning, for example, my monthly bill.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Richie,  thanks for the reply but I never received any notification by email nor normal mail. Have checked spam and trash and there's nothing there either. The last email I got from BT regarding changes to my account was back in July and didn't affect me--was to do with Calling Packages. Since this change was only done on the 13th. there might be something in the normal post which should arrive shortly--but doesn't explain why I didn't get the email telling me of the upcoming change.

Stay cool everybody!!!