cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NightRunner_10
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Broadband Speed, Dropouts, Cost Effectiveness!

Broadband performance and pricing

Anyone else out there paying 2020 prices for 1990's performance?

I currently get a speed guarantee of >1Mbps download, typically never above 2Mbps in practice when it works, for £47 per month.  I've been monitoring the speed and have a number of examples of less than, ~0.5Mbps for example,  the 1 Mbps quoted minimum recorded.

Thankfully BT have offered me 'fibre' for half that price, but no greater speeds guarantee!

My neighbour, less than 100 metres away, gets five times this speed, and doesn't experience drop-outs that we typically get, especially when it's wet and windy conditions.

All helpful suggestions welcome.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband Speed, Dropouts, Cost Effectiveness!

@NightRunner_10 

For an ADSL connection, you should be paying no more than £29.99 which includes line rental, but no call packages unless you are still on a legacy deal. That would not include any other extras that you may be paying.

Check your bill again, as you may have noticed a drop in cost a couple of months ago. 

0 Ratings
NightRunner_10
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks Keith. In May BT told me online tests detected no fault. I insisted on engineer, at risk of having to pay for call-out. Two engineers, two vans, one full day, slight improvement. BT then told me they would drop to that price you mentioned in August...they didn't and the legacy exorbitant DD still coming out. What joy! If we were getting the 6.8Mbps that our neighbour <100m away is getting we would have been happy to pay the £47!
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Which hub version do you have?

enter your phone number and post results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Check for line noise. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
NightRunner_10
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thanks...I saw the 17070 option 2 advice earlier on another post and tried it, and I’ve recorded the line noise. I’ve also been using the Which broadband speed checker several times daily, and capturing the results. Cu, H2O and O2 aren’t a good combination! I’ll follow your advice.
0 Ratings
NightRunner_10
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I used the BT wholesale broadband checker just now....we typically get the quoted throughput data rates, but not always. Also I’ve seen upload speeds 2 or 3 times the download which I find very strange indeed. Still can’t work out why our neighbour gets 5 times greater speed along same cable runs as ours, and last run from same junction box, but we’re about 2.5 miles from exchange, whereas they are almost 100 metres closer!
0 Ratings
NightRunner_10
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

BT Openreach engineer did a thorough job. Low insulation value seems to be due to cable wires tails crimp joints in a below ground junction box which were sealed in a plastic bag tiewrapped...lots of moisture clearly visible in the bag!
0 Ratings