cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Owenmeredith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Broadband activation yesterday - didn't go quite as planned.

So! After moving to a village (close to the university i'll be studying at), the only provider here is BT (market 1 exchange). 

I ordered the broadband and phone 3 weeks ago, and I've been living in the new flat for 2 weeks. The phone line already installed here was dead, and had been disconnected some time (presumably at the exchange) so an engineer visit was required. 

After my home hub in the post yesterday morning and the appointment booked for 8am-1pm everything seemed to be going well, until the engineer didn't turn up. 

To cut it short, I was basically told the BT systems "were down" most of yesterday so the engineer "couldn't log on to carry out the work, as it's outside work that needs to be carried out" - I was told this information after repetitively calling BT all of yesterday afternoon. 

My question is, at what point was BT (or even the engineer) going to tell me that they weren't arriving due to the systems not working. There's obviously nothing the engineer can do (even though all that needs to be done is for my line to be plugged into the systems at the exchange) if the systems are down, but at what point was BT going to notify me of this? 

I've been told that I'm receiving a call next Tuesday to be updated on what's happening with me order, which they've said isn't the new activation date. 

Has anyone else experienced this? i.e. when can I typically expect a new activation date etc. as it's just work outside that needs to be done. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband activation yesterday - didn't go quite as planned.

it may require more than exchange work it may also involve work at your local street cabinet and also at your home as the line has been physically disconnected and may now be in use by other customers also the network is owned and maintained by Openreach not BT they are just a service provider like al the others
0 Ratings
Owenmeredith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I am well aware that BT are the provider, and as the provider they made no effort to contact me what so ever to notify me that the work wasn't being carried out that day.

There is only telegraph poles in use in this village, and I can follow the phone line out of the wall with the cable going straight past my window and to the telegraph pole - I was told that only outside work needed to be done. 

Luckily I don't have to work, but feel sorry for those who do have to work and arrange for days off for engineers not to show. 

I was just curious if anyone has had the same sort of issue and how long it took afterwards for their phone line to be connected. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

BT can only provide the information provided by Openreach which sometimes is not good

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Owenmeredith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I have now managed to have an engineer appointment for tomorrow...... BUT just for my phone line! 

I received a phone call from BT this morning informing me that the broadband service wouldn't be activated for a few days after the phone line is installed due to them having to "test the line stability for speed" (which, after having so many Internet problems and going through numerous providers over the years, I know is bull). 

So how is it that I'm now being provided with a different broadband activation date when originally I was provided with the line install and broadband activation date on the same day? 

Been with BT once before, it was a nightmare... this experience isn't looking to be much better either. 

(I have moved to a village with a Market 1 exchange, so BT are the only provider here - they would have been one of my last choices I would have picked otherwise). 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Owenmeredith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Turns out there's a fault on the line now, which wont be sorted until Tuesday - 5 weeks since I ordered the phoneline and broadband. 

0 Ratings