cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 30

Re: Broadband cancellation charge

It is the fees that is taken by manyl companies when cancelling the connection or terminationg the connection. So we must choose the company that don't have these type of conditions and we can terminate without paying any charges like these.I suggest you to take the connection of Unitel Direct Telecom as they don't take any fee on termination

0 Ratings
Ally070
Message 22 of 30

Just spoke to Jamie at BT and was informed about the £30 cancellation fee for cancelling my Broadband which I think is absolutely scandalous. I have paid every month the amount that BT charged and did not receive the best of service - promised new router which did not appear. And when I go to cancel as I am moving out of my current address they charge me £30 to cancel because they have to 'remove' equipment from the exchange, what absolute nonsense!
I have been with BT at various times over the last twenty years and have never had these charges and I will never use their services again.

I hope others follow my lead. There are other companies out there and the sooner BT realise this and stop charging customers money for what to me seems like an everyday running cost, I mean what was I paying my monthly fees for?

NEVER again BT!
0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 23 of 30

the cancellation fee is plainly set out in the terms of service that you carefully read before signing up with BT so you will have known that it would be charged when you cancelled your internet connection and did not use a mac code to change providers, you were paying monthly for the bandwidth you use for accessing the internet with your connection. openreach charge BT a fee when they have to go to the exchange to remove the infinity equipment from said exchange and then BT accordingly charge you as stated in the T&Cs

0 Ratings
rshazza
Beginner
Message 24 of 30

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 30
Moved:

0 Ratings
mrnicehair
Message 26 of 30

Re: Broadband cancellation charge the " £30 WHATFOR "

What a confusing mess leaving BT is . Ive been with them 30 years for phone but only  for the last year with broadband and you youview . The speed is slower than my last provider EE , the on demand service would often disconnect and i was so tired of seeing that little ring going round and round ......trying to conect to thin air. Even when not using the internet or on demand the hub would have its little blue broadband connection  light flashing ...in other words disconecting. Oh and the craclikng phone line which has gone on for years, they say they cant find a fault . In the house we had new cables and new phones (about 5 new phones over the years )and still it crackles periodically , but they say they'll charge for coming out if no problem is found . Then last week a maintanence page come up on the you view box , never seen it before and because it's not s`e`t out clearly what to do you end up loosing all your recorded content from the past 6 months.

So that was that im leaving to go to Virgin but now im being charge early cancelation fee which i except  but not the  £30 because im moving from phone land land line to cable and the mac code is not needed. Apprently all who go Bt to Virgin will be charged this . But i get an email from Bt today to say that the £30 chrage can be avoided by  Virgin sending to BT  a

" LOSS OF SERVICE TRANSFER REQUEST " So you phone Virgin and they don't do it because they don't need to coz they don't need  mac code........If you're confused so i'm I .

So in summary BT charge the customer £30 for something which the new provider may need - the new provider does'nt need it - therefore no one does anything - and piggy in the middle the customer pays £30 For absolutly nothing at all but the £30 does include VAT which is really nice to know !!!! ?????

What a load of **bleep**

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 30

The cease fee is made for your broadband connection not your phone line and the charge is made when a MAC code is not used which if moving to virgin cannot be used as they use their own network the charge is made for removing the broadband equipment from the phone line and is charged by all ISP's excluding virgin
0 Ratings
k2150
Contributor
Message 28 of 30

what's actually involved in cancelling a service from bt's point of view, do they physically remove anything from the exchange ? I wanna know what done that costs 30 quid ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 30

It involves removing all of the connections between the broadband equipment, and your telephone line, within the exchange.

Your line then has to re-connected directly back to the exchange phone equipment, so you can get your normal phone service.

Depending on the size of the exchange frame, this can take some time, as everything has to be re-tested to make sure your phone line still gets dial tone.

This is done by Openreach, who then pass the charge to the ISP, who then passes it to the end user.

0 Ratings
k2150
Contributor
Message 30 of 30

interesting, ....thanks for the info

0 Ratings