cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angiedutch
Message 1 of 30

Broadband cancellation charge

I have just been told I will have to pay a £30 fee to have my broadband removed from the exchange when my contract terminates.  When I said I was not told at the point of sale that I would be charged if I decided to leave BT, I was told that it is in the terms and conditions.  I have read them through twice over and I can't find any mention of this fee, the only fees mentioned are charges for leaving the contract early. 

I certainly will not recommend BT Broadband to anyone now

29 REPLIES 29
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: Broadband cancellation charge

the £30 fee is charged by most ISPs if you are not transferring to anothe ISP but ceasing brodband altogether.  if you are taking broadband with another provider apart from cable if you get your MAC code then the £30 fee is normally waved by the new ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 30

Hi. It certainly is in the T&c's, you do have to look for it.

It is a charge levied on all ISP's including BT retail (your ISP) when a customer cancels broadband. This charge is passed on to the customer. This charge does not go to your ISP. It is also not levied if you move to another provider using a MAC code.

Not recommending an ISP because of this charge is silly as all ISP's will /can pass on this charge .

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 30

That's how large companies roll these days, they will never tell you up front about the true cost, because you would never sign up if they told you about all the charges the can hit you with when your pants are down, they get round the law by saying terms and conditions apply. This type of selling should be illegal, all prices should be displayed in large print so customers can see exactly what they have to pay.

I bet if you decided to fight this in court, they would cave in because what they are doing is not honest and up front. Then again, who wants to waste time fighting over £30.00, that is exactly how they get away with this **bleep**.

Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 30

as posted it is in the terms and conditions the charge is raised by BT wholesale and is charged to all isps not just BT retail if broadband service is ceased and not a transfer to another provider
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 30

BT Broadband T&Cs Paragraph 40:

"When you end your broadband service and do not request and use a migration authorisation code (MAC) or another recognised transfer process to move to another service provider you will have to pay a cease charge of £30. You will not have to pay this charge in the event you are moving home and we are unable to provide the service at the new UK address."

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerOrders/control/termsandconditions?docId=28234&pageTit...

It's a relatively recent thing.  If you've been with BT for many years, then it may not have been there when you originally signed up.  Unfortunately, OFCOM allowed BT to introduce this charge, and then substantially increase it to the £30 it is now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 30

@WatchdogTS wrote:
That's how large companies roll these days, they will never tell you up front about the true cost, because you would never sign up if they told you about all the charges the can hit you with when your pants are down, they get round the law by saying terms and conditions apply. This type of selling should be illegal, all prices should be displayed in large print so customers can see exactly what they have to pay.

I bet if you decided to fight this in court, they would cave in because what they are doing is not honest and up front. Then again, who wants to waste time fighting over £30.00, that is exactly how they get away with this **bleep**.

You could display the prices in bold gold lettering and still some customers would say they did not see it. Customers mainly only see what they want to see.

As regards your second point, I would certainly not sign you up as my lawyer. There is no way an ISP would lose this in a court of law. Why on earth would an ISP cave in on charging you the customer this charge when they are being charged themselves.

toekneem

(EASBF)

WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 30

@toekneem wrote:

As regards your second point, I would certainly not sign you up as my lawyer. There is no way an ISP would lose this in a court of law. Why on earth would an ISP cave in on charging you the customer this charge when they are being charged themselves.

If I was a lawyer I would advise you that it is not practical or prudent to challenge a company in a court of law for £30 .00  Consider it money well spent to be rid of BT for good. 😉

WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 30

You will not have to pay this charge in the event you are moving home and we are unable to provide the service at the new UK address."

Very clever that isn't it, if you move abroad you still have to pay the cancellation fee. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 30

@WatchdogTS wrote:

@toekneem wrote:

If I was a lawyer I would advise you that it is not practical or prudent to challenge a company in a court of law for £30 .00  Consider it money well spent to be rid of BT for good. 😉

A lawyer who quickly changes his mind:

Quote"I bet if you decided to fight this in court, they would cave in because what they are doing is not honest and up front. Then again, who wants to waste time fighting over £30.00, that is exactly how they get away with this **bleep**.2

I believe you were the one to make the court suggestion

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings