Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 30

Re: Broadband cancellation charge

I believe you were the one to make the court suggestion

I simply pointed out that someone could challenge the cancellation fee in court if they had a mind to, you said you would not hire me as a lawyer. IMO there is a case to answer but no one will take it that far because it is not worth the hassle.

You can always make a complaint to the Office of Fair Trading, which costs nothing apart from a bit of your time.

Under the Regulations the OFT has a duty to consider any complaint received about unfair terms. Where a term is considered unfair, enforcement action may be taken on behalf of consumers to stop its use, if necessary by seeking a court injunction in England and Wales or an interdict in Scotland.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 30

Ok Guys,

Lets keep it friendly.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 30

posted in error

0 Ratings
noozle357
Beginner
Message 14 of 30

Hi, I have a slightly more complex issue:

I took out a BT phone and broadband package when I moved into my old property. A while later my friend took over the property from me and because I was still within my minimum contract term I carried on paying the bill.

Now that the minimum contract term is over I would like to cancel my contract with BT so that my friend can set up exactly the same contract at the same address but in her name. Ideally, this would happen in quick succcession so that she isn't lleft without a phone line or internet. 

I explained this to the lovely BT agent, only to be told that I will have to pay a £30 charge for the broadband being terminated at the exchange.... but the broadband won't need to be terminated, as it is being taken over by my friend.

Surely under these circumstances this fee is unnecessary? Normally I would just change the name on the account from my name to my friends, however BT won't let me do this either.

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 30

I can't see an easy way out Noozle, all you can do is complain to Trading Standards, Ofcom, the Ombudsman etc, BT should be able to transfer an account to another resident of the same address once the existing contract has ended, without the £30.00 penalty.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 30

Hi Noozle357,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. The £30 charge is applied when a BB package is ceased rather than transferred using the MAC process.  While your friend would still need a BB connection the account is not in their name, here lies the problem.  The only way to avoid this charge is by transferring your BB connection to another address or another supplier using the MAC process.  Your friend will be seen as a new customer as they would need to setup a new account.  Unfortunately it is not as easy as changing the name on an account.

I appreciate this is frustrating but this charge is for the engineering work to disconnect the BB from the exchange.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 30

There might be a way to avoid the charge in this situation, I think Noozle can or should be able to add his friends name to the bill, as in husband/wife situation for eg. Worth a try?

0 Ratings
anitad5000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 30

£30....ummm my mum has just cancelled her BT broadband (keeping the phone part) -and has been asked for over £150 for the pleasure of not having it anymore...

Ridiculous sums of money...surely not right!!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 30

if the contract is cancelled before its normal end date then you would incur cancellation charges and I suspect that is what has happened
0 Ratings
anitad5000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 30

Yes, admittedly it is before the natural end date but only because she has had so many issues with her Internet...in the last 3 months, since renewal of a past package she has had nothing but problems and has basically given up on the Internet altogether...A few phone calls from BT in the past months saying they still had no resolution and it was being escalted does not seem service you expect...And then the slap of £150 + to just get out of the hassel..

I personally think that amount of money to cancel a service is ridiculous...and they've asked for the hub back that she recently paid for a replacement of an older one...?? Why on earth should she have to return something she paid for? If there was a refund involved then fair enough but that adds to the insult...

0 Ratings