I've had an email about the price increase on Jan 8th and it advises to Act Now and renew contract to stay at existing prices. My contract doesn't end until 18th Jan and it is an Infinity 1 package unlimited. It is not possible to upgrade to a higher speed as we can't get a higher speed. My only option to recontract at this time seems to involve upgrading. I am reluctant to phone bt to clarify as they usually do a hard sell on me. Can anyone advise if there is anything I can do to avoid the price rise? Thanks
It seems I can't recontract existing contract until 4 weeks before the expiry date. I would need to upgrade to do it now which would be pointless. Misleading email from BT.
Because of the price rise you have 30 days from the day you received the notification to inform BT if you intend to exercise your right to leave your contract without penalty.
You should leave it for a few weeks, but still within the 30 day period then phone them back and tell them you are notifying them of your intention to leave because of the price rise. (It is not compulsory that you leave after giving that notification).
You will be nearer your 4 week end of contract date and BT will no doubt at that point offer you something to stay. Do your homework first and see what other ISP are offering so you can negotiate with knowledge.
If they don't offer a good deal you will need to decide whether to accept that or be prepared to move to another ISP.
There are a few good offers being offered by the other ISPs to new customers so it is well worth looking around.
Really, I've just re-contracted for 18 months fixed price broadband and I still have 12 months of a 24 month contract to run. It is just a re-contract on my existing service and extras with no upgrade involved.
I've also had a a deal on my HD Extras put in place as well and again I have 12 months of a 24 month TV contract to run.
Also they have extended my Caller display free deal so that it runs up to the same time as they will dispense with charges due to a recent Ofcom ruling.
So I'd go back to the Options team and ask them again though it might just depend on the adviser, as the one I had today was really helpful and knowledgeable. Don't get me wrong the previous one who answered me was just as helpful but did seem a little less sure of the options available so it does help to try another call.
I have just re-contracted because of the price rise. I got exactly the same package as I was already on. I was only 3 months into a 24 month contract and I recontracted for 18 months. I avoid the price rise except for my anytime calls, which will increase by 50p in January.
Started a 12 mouth deal with BT broadband and phone in sepember now recieved an e-mail saying in January price going up, so much for doing a deal seems worthless now.