Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Buckster_uk
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Broadband installation for flats

Hi

I live in a communal block of flats and BT are coming round next week to install my phone / standard broadband.

On the email I received it said that the BT engineer will need access to the block's internal distribution point. I asked my block's management company about this and apparently the area that this is situated in the block is accessible via an FB2 key and they said that most engineers use these keys so should be able to gain access to it.

After speaking to BT online help they said the engineers didn't have these keys.

So I would like to know for BT installation in flats, do engineers need access to this facility or can they simply just connect up broadband to my BT point in my living room? Do they carry FB2 keys?

Would be great if anyone can help, either someone at BT or anyone living in a flat who may have experience with this.

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Broadband installation for flats

When I had my installation done a couple of years ago all the engineer did was to activate the connection at the master socket BUT he  activated the only extension only after asking me if I wanted it done. He had already visited the exchange and spent about half an hour at the cabinet.

However I never received any emails making a reference to internal distribution points etc - therefore I would recommend that you try and get hold of an FB2 key just in case especially if a subcontractor turns up - mine was done by a "proper" engineer.

0 Ratings
Buckster_uk
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the response.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experiences of this?

Is standard broadband just installed using the phone line or do any other connections need to be arranged? I have chatted to BT online help and they said the engineer will not need access to any other connection points apart from my phone line.

My room has a BT point installed so I had presumed this was all that was needed, but the email saying the engineer needed access to the BT connection point was confusing, perhaps this just means the living area's connection point?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

your broadband is activated over your phone line from the exchange if your phone line is working at the moment then no visit will be needed
0 Ratings