Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Meinzapint
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Broadband not activated after a month

Go to solution
New customer to BT- my service was supposed to be activated on 13 September. Engineer set up phone line on 13 September and said there was an issue at the exchange which he couldn't resolve, but it should be resolved within 48 hours. I contacted BT via online chat the following week and was told there is a capacity issue at the exchange and there would be an update on 22 September. I heard nothing so contacted BT again on 26 September and was told the team was working on it and the next update would be 3 October. Needless to say, I have heard nothing.

BT has now sent me a bill for two months worth of line rental, essentially wasted money as I don't have a landline or intend to get one. I am also still paying £40+ a month to my existing broadband provider as I didn't want to cancel until BT was set up- fortunately as it turned out. If anyone can offer assistance I would be grateful as I am not going to waste my time with the overseas online chat people- they are clearly unable to do anything to assist.

Thanks
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Meinzapint
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: Broadband not activated after a month

Go to solution

These are the results of my broadband availability checker. It also makes reference to an open order on the line which is due to complete on 13 September 2016- ie mine!

image.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Is your BT Retail phone line working?

That is needed to provide broadband. If you do not get dial tone, then you have a fault on your phone line and will not get any broadband.

You said " I don't have a landline or intend to get one"

You always need a landline for BT Broadband.

Have you tried the Order Live Chat Team

0 Ratings
Meinzapint
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks for responding. The phone line should be working- the BT engineer says it was before he left on 13 September - and BT are billing me for it! I meant to write "I don't have a home phone or intend to get one". I rely on a mobile for all my calls and don't have a landline phone to check the line. I only have a landline because I have no choice, as you say. 

My order is still open and there has been no update online since 13 September. I have contacted the Order Live Chat Team twice; they are the ones who told me there would be updates on 22 September and 3 October regarding my service, but I have heard nothing. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

You will need to test it using a phone, you can get a cheap wired phone for less that £5, and its useful in an emergency.

You get free weekend calls anyway, as part of your package.

Not plugging in a phone, and making regular checks, can cause broadband connection problems.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @Meinzapint

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry for the problems you're having getting your broadband connected.  Can you send me over your details and we will check what's causing the delay?

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Meinzapint
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Hi Robbie. Thanks for offering to help - I have sent you a message with my details.

0 Ratings
Meinzapint
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

It's now been over 6 weeks and still no broadband, so bumping this back up. I was contacted by David Moon, BT Forum Moderator, after I got in touch with the Mods team. He informed me that he would take over my complaint and that wholesale had advised him to check back for updates on 31/10/2016. Obviously this date has now passed, but I don't know how to get back in touch with David. If someone could advise I would be grateful. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution
Have you tried the landline with a telephone plugged into the socket yet?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Meinzapint
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

No I haven't. My broadband has not been activated due to a lack of capacity at the exchange - this is the issue. 

0 Ratings