Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altough
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Broadband only

Go to solution

Very recently I have seen information about broadband only deals - where you lose your landline number. Can anyone please advise if this is available for existing customers? thanks, Alex

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband only

Go to solution

@altough 

You do not have to take any landline packages anyway. The broadband cost includes the line rental, you do not have to use the phone, but the cost is still the same.

You may be thinking of FTTP, where the landline number is optional. That does not make it any cheaper. That may also be the case for FTTC in the future, as no connection to the exchange is needed as BT Digital Voice is used, if required.

I assume you are a BT Retail customer?

0 Ratings
altough
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Keith

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I believe I am BT Retail, I have landline, broadband (FTTC) and mobile with BT.

It's in relation to this announcement that I am asking. https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/do-i-need-a-bt-phone-line-to-get-broadband-from-bt-

I only saw this very recently, and believe it's a recent announcement, but details very thin. I can see for new customers there is an option to select without landline, with costs similar to other providers using the Openreach infrastructure. But I pay approx an extra 20 pounds a month for the landline, even though it's kind of bundled in with the Broadband package.

Probably academic for me since our contact runs until nearly the end of 2021.

Thanks Alex

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

You don't pay extra for a phone line. You pay for LINE rental in order for the broadband to reach your house.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

You no longer pay extra for the landline, its part of the broadband price, whether you take it or not. If you use it then its 20p a minute for calls.

I have ADSL, and pay £29.99 which includes the landline, which I only use for incoming calls.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

There is a new product that is being offered by CPs called SOGEA, it is a broadband line with no PSTN element. Basically there is not a dial tone on the line. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
altough
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
Dave, that sounds exactly what I was reading about! See for example https://go.bonline.com/blog/introduction-of-sogea.
"Openreach has announced the introduction of SOGEA (Single Order Generic Ethernet Access). This will make it possible to buy a hybrid fibre FTTC (Fibre-to-the-Cabinet) cable line without phone service. The process of implementing SOGEA has been slow but Openreach expects that the service could be large-scale pilot size by early 2019. Going even further BT aims to make all traditional landlines extinct by 2025. This is an exciting time as landline and broadband will be forced to be treated as separate entities. Final…"
Doesn't sound as though an option for existing customers. I just signed up for a new 18 month contract today using Openreach infrastructure, with a new line. I am going to ask the service provider if its SOGEA.
many thanks Dave
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

It still uses the openreach copper network.. You would still have a metallic path from the telephone exchange its just that there would not be a dial tone present. 

From what I understand its a nightmare for openreach engineers because of no dial tone or voltage being present the line tends to get used by other engineers thinking its a spare pair of wires. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@Devon_Dave wrote:

From what I understand its a nightmare for Openreach engineers because of no dial tone or voltage being present the line tends to get used by other engineers thinking its a spare pair of wires. 

And no voltage to break down any high resistance connections.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@altough  you appear to be missing the point. You will still need a physical line to provide the Broadband regardless of whether it also carries telephony, it is the physical line that line rental covers, not telephony.

0 Ratings