cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HenryF
Message 1 of 5

Broadband usage

I have BT Broadband with a 12Gb monthly limit and am also use the FON hotspot network which I understand to be free and unlimited I have a BT Hub4

I have noticed for some time that there is unusual high consumption on my Broadband to the point that I have exceeded the 12Gb. and suspect that this is because FON usage is showing up on my broadband account.

I have been in contact with BT chat lines on two occasions. Their advice was to change the SSID and password and upgrade to unlimited.

The SSID has been changed on two occasions and on the last occasion, 10 days ago, I did not activated the connection on my PC and laptop. I am confident that there are no other connection to the router except to the FON hotspot by my android tablet, yet the router continues to report usage. This appears to mirror the pattern of the hotspot usage by my android tablet, which connects by the BT app.

Could someone please confirm that hotspot usage is free and unlimited, even while at home?

Is there any procedure which could cure this problem.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
HenryF
Message 2 of 5

BROADBAND USAGE

I have BT Broadband with a 12Gb monthly limit and am also use the FON hotspot network which I understand to be free and unlimited I have a BT Hub4

I have noticed for some time that there is unusual high consumption on my Broadband to the point that I have exceeded the 12Gb. and suspect that this is because FON usage is showing up on my broadband account.

I have been in contact with BT chat lines on two occasions. Their advice was to change the SSID and password and upgrade to unlimited.

The SSID has been changed on two occasions and on the last occasion, 10 days ago, I did not activated the connection on my PC and laptop. I am confident that there are no other connection to the router except to the FON hotspot by my android tablet, yet the router continues to report usage. This appears to mirror the pattern of the hotspot usage by my android tablet, which connects by the BT app.

Could someone please confirm that hotspot usage is free and unlimited, even while at home?

Is there any procedure which could cure this problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Re: Broadband usage

See http://www.btwifi.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/fair-use-policy.jsp

The router will show usage, even on BT Wifi, but it should not show on the broadband usage monitor.

0 Ratings
HenryF
Message 4 of 5

Sorry for the double posting.
problem is it is showing on both.
0 Ratings
feegee
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

@HenryF, mine is doing the same. I have had a wrong reading before but BT eventually admited it was a mistake.

I have noticed that last month my usage was higher than normal (almost at my max) so i completely switched off my router (which was not ideal) to prevent any more usage and in this month my usage has gone up by approximately 250mb per day despite being only connected to Fon,  i have checked in here a lot to see if anyone else has had the same issue before i posted. Nothing in my home is connected to my own broadband although i did use it twice to do some printing but i factored that in.

BT will tell you that Fon doesn't count but i have read lots of posts where peoples usage has been wrongly added.  Luckily, i have not gone over or am nowhere near my 12gb for this month but i do believe that something is "not right" proving it is a completely different matter though as i argued till i was blue in the face when i was charged for over usage the last time and was told that the usage monitor was categorically correct BUT  a couple of months later BT apologised for incorrectly charging me.

If you have never gone over your usage before then i believe that BT can waive the cost of a "first offender" (even though you are not really an offender as such) but no one told me that when i was arguing about mine but hopefully a moderator will be able to help you out on this.

0 Ratings