Message 1 of 12

Broadband useage caps removed

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Neil1
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband useage caps removed

I suppose existing capped customers will have to recontract......

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

I wouldn't have thought so. Infinity 1 customers didn't have to re-contract when the cap was raised. I suspect the caps will just be scrapped.

0 Ratings
Neil1
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

@licquorice wrote:

I wouldn't have thought so. Infinity 1 customers didn't have to re-contract when the cap was raised. I suspect the caps will just be scrapped.

Cool

That would be good!

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

It would be interesting to know what really lies behind BT's decision to remove usage caps. But we probably all know the main driver...

Perhaps caps were too difficult for BT to manage and/or enforce? Perhaps customers couldn't keep track of what they used or weren't easily able to do so? Perhaps all internet users are now endlessingly streaming stuff and accessing the web via multiple devices 24/7? Or maybe BT want to make more profit at the customers' expense?

As the article says: "One of the problems with BT's capped options is that they often didn’t benefit from the same heavy discounting as their unlimited services, which sometimes made them look more expensive and the provider says this caused some consumer confusion".

So, BT cause the confusion and use that as justification for then removing the caps?! Perhaps BT priced this way to get people off the capped products and then implement a price hike on the unlimited usage options?

BT could of course have addressed the root cause and sorted out the pricing so that the capped service is cheaper for those with lower data needs. Instead, rather than recognising that some customers don't need or don't want unlimited usage they go for a one-size-fits-all approach, meaning those who stay with BT must upgrade to an unlimited service when they recontract as there's no other option.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

I think the usage monitoring was sub contracted to an independent supplier, so there is a saving by not having to do that.

There is also more than enough capacity in the BT Wholesale network, so usage base charging does not make sense any more.

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe - these are BT-centric responses, not customer-centric. Have you gone native?  : )

"I think the usage monitoring was sub contracted to an independent supplier, so there is a saving by not having to do that."

So how/where was this saving passed to to the customer? 

"There is also more than enough capacity in the BT Wholesale network, so usage base charging does not make sense any more."

From BT's perspective only. Customers who use less should pay less, that was the purpose of usage capping.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

@xmarksthespot wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe - these are BT-centric responses, not customer-centric. Have you gone native?  : )

I am a BT pensioner, having worked there for nearly 42 years.

Its just common sense. When networks were in their infancy, and ISPs paid for the amount of data transferred, it made sense to charge customers different tarrifs.

Now that there is almost infinite bandwidth available by using WDM (Waveform Divisional Multiplex) on fibre, then a fixed cost for the link is becoming the norm.

BT Retail rely on many external suppliers for things like,email, virus protection, BT Protect and Parental controls. These are Value Added Services which you get for free.

Residential broadband services are really quite good value, when you compare them to what was offered years ago.

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe, I now understand the reason for your BT-centric response! I hope retirement from BT is treating you well.

Interesting to read about the external "value added" services you list. Value-add still costs BT money obviously and I do not need any of these from BT (via its subcontracted supplires).

Perhaps a stripped down "low-cost" offering is something BT should consider as a product.

By "low cost" I mean something akin to the airline industry where there is a basic A to B handbaggge only service for example and you can pay extra for bells and whistles but only if required. So just basic broadband and line rental as a start point for example. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

@xmarksthespot wrote:

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe, I now understand the reason for your BT-centric response! I hope retirement from BT is treating you well.

Interesting to read about the external "value added" services you list. Value-add still costs BT money obviously and I do not need any of these from BT (via its subcontracted supplires).

Perhaps a stripped down "low-cost" offering is something BT should consider as a product.

By "low cost" I mean something akin to the airline industry where there is a basic A to B handbaggge only service for example and you can pay extra for bells and whistles but only if required. So just basic broadband and line rental as a start point for example. 

Retirement is fine, I like to keep up-to-date with current issues via this forum, and have a good working relationship with the hard working moderators who are here to offer support. This involvement is purely voluntary, and that goes for the other people who post on this forum.

Over my working life with BT, from early days with the GPO in 1968, I gained a lot of useful information which seems to get lost, as time passes. If this is not passed on, then it gets lost, even basic fault finding techniques are lost, with too much reliance on software tools.

As far a Value Added Services are concerned, that is what sells the product, and keeps the advertisiing people in business Smiley Happy

There are providers that do offer a basic service, but in the end, its all the "free" extras that people want, its human nature.

0 Ratings