Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 22

Bt Landline Package...

Go to solution
OK we have FTTP if we leave BT and go with another Broadband supplier but keep the landline with BT, could we get the Home Phone Saver package (https://www.btplc.com/inclusion/MakingCallingEasier/Managingyourbudget/HomePhoneSaver/index.htm).

The FTTP is a fibre wire and copper wire for the landline, and I know some of BT's landline packages are not available if you have broadband from BT or any other ISP.
Many thanks in advance.
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: Bt Landline Package...

Go to solution

If your FTTP is in an overlay area, and the telephony is still delivered over the copper pair, it may be possible to somehow subvert the system to give you BT Home Saver , a product available to BT customers who don’t have broadband , don’t want the reduced line rental option , but want a package that includes calls , and line facility’s like caller diversion ,( not to be confused with BT Basic) and somehow get someone else to provide broadband over the FTTP network, but it may not be easy, it may turn out to be theoretically possible but impossible to achieve, but why would you want this ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

I have Home Phone Saver from BT & get my BB from another ISP.

I am not aware that you can't get HPS if you have BB from another ISP. In fact, your link only says:

Home Phone Saver 2020 is a telephone only deal, so can’t be taken as part of our BT Broadband or BT Infinity packages.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

iniltous...…..."somehow get someone else to provide broadband over the FTTP network, but it may not be easy, it may turn out to be theoretically possible but impossible to achieve, but why would you want this ?"
Unquote

There's only one other company who supply FTTP over BT FTTP networks (As far as I'm aware), I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, our landline is on a different (Copper) wire than our broadband.
Why would I want it, because of the cost, we started on a 18 month contract with BT in April 2018, we are now out of contract and our BT bill has almost doubled, it's our biggest annual utility cost.

RobbieBarton
"I have Home Phone Saver from BT & get my BB from another ISP.
I am not aware that you can't get HPS if you have BB from another ISP. In fact, your link only says:
Home Phone Saver 2020 is a telephone only deal, so can’t be taken as part of our BT Broadband or BT Infinity packages."
Unquote

Yes I'm guessing your broadband is cable and landline copper, the difference being our FTTP is overhead BT cables, but the statement "so can’t be taken as part of our BT Broadband"
is interesting.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

I don't have cable BB if that's what you mean. My BB is hosted on my BT landline delivered by overhead cables from a pole to the house.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution
So your broadband is on BT cables but not supplied by BT
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Correct!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

To clarify , you say FTTP, so you have fibre right into your premises, one of your posts states the broadband is ‘hosted’ by your landline, that doesn’t sound like FTTP
Home phone saver is around £22 a month, I don’t know what a retentions deal with BT for FTTP would be ( I suspect around £35 to £45 if you commit to a new minimum term ) , so that means you would have to get a broadband only deal on FTTP from someone other than BT, but who also use Openreach FTTP for around £13-£23 to be cheaper  than what you currently have , I don’t think that will be possible.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

Who are you addressing with your post, @iniltous ? I'm the only one here who uses the word "hosted" to describe landline BB but I never mentioned once I was on FTTP. It's the OP who has FTTP. My only point here is that I do get BT Home Phone Saver on my BT landline whilst at the same time getting BB Only from another ISP similar to what the OP wants.

So, I'm afraid your calculations are fruitless + you have no idea how much I pay for BB.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

I did incorrectly assign your comment to the OP, but given you are not on FTTP and the OP states they are , your ability to have a line share arrangement , (line rental separate from broadband) which was very common before TT and Sky launched their own network and used MPF ( not SMPF) to connect their customers to it, doesn’t particularly help the OP, your situation isn’t the same.
Irrespective of this error on my part, and assuming it can be done, I recon £35-£45 is a reasonable estimate of what a BT Consumer could expect to negotiate for a FTTP phone/broadband package , if cost is what the OP is looking to reduce and is willing to spend £22 for home saver 2020,over his/her copper pair then that doesn’t leave a lot , £13 to £23 to fund a broadband package over the FTTP,  so I would think that rather than saving money, separate copper pair telephony ( if it’s the home phone saver deal, lots of features and calls but not cheap) and broadband over FTTP would cost more

You are obviously  quite correct, how could I possibly know what you pay your broadband provider , in addition to what you pay your line rental provider, if you are happy with this arrangement , good for you, but as now explained, and you presumably already knew , I wasn’t replying to you , but the OP.

0 Ratings