cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rob_mcn
Message 1 of 4

Cabinet now upgraded - BT or Sky lead times

Hello.

My cabinet has just been upgraded and I am now able to get Infinity.  

I currently have all my services (TV, phone & broadband) from Sky.  They have been fine so far with no real issues with broadband other than the initial install (it was a brand new house) where there was lots of confusion between Sky and BTopenreach with Sky frequently telling me they had no more information as their ability to prise info from BTO was limited.

Anyway, since install, service has been fine.  I do want fibre broadband asap though and this is why I'm thinking about splitting my services (TV to Sky, Phone & Broadband to BT) as I have a vague memory of reading that BT can provide the fibre service quicker that the other providers who may have to do their own work at the cabinet/exchange.  Is this still the case?  Could BT switch me on quicker (subject to normal lead times) than Sky?

Splitting the services works out a bit cheaper for me, though I'm pretty sure if I phone Sky to cancel, I'll be passed to retentions who'll probably match the price I can get or better it.  What I don't want to do is be suckered into a slightly better sounding deal with Sky to stay with them but end up waiting for weeks longer while Sky schedule any work at cabinet/exchange level.

Does anyone know if this scenario is common or is it more common that as soon as my cabinet is live, all providers can provide the fibre service at the same time immediately?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Cabinet now upgraded - BT or Sky lead times

BT do not provide or maintain the external network and connect people to the cabinets. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers. BT do not get any special treatment.

Its a case of first come first served, until the cabinet is full, so the sooner you place an order, the better.

BT Retail use the name "BT Infinity" for their product. Other ISPs call it something different. The choice is yours.

0 Ratings
rob_mcn
Message 3 of 4

Sorry - I realised that BT and Openreach were separate, and Sky call their Fibre offering Sky Fibre/Pro etc. I just had a vague memory of someone on here posting that Sky had additional work to do after BTOpenreach had completed their upgrade work. I perhaps inferred that this might lead to a delay over BT for some reason. It may be that BT have to do the exact same work too and there is no time advantage of one over the other.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

In BTs case, its normally a self install, once your line is connected through the cabinet. The BT Home Hub is sent in advance, and just needs plugging in.

I have no idea what Sky do, or the equipment they provide.

0 Ratings