cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdg2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Call charges ludicrously high.

Since I only make an oocasional phone call from my land line and have it mainly to get broadband I opted for only included weekend calls.

However on Monday I just made my first call. It was to a local number. It lasted just over 8 minutes. BT have charged me £1.59 for it!!!!!!!

That's more than I was paying for a similar call on PAYG mobile 10 years ago!!!!!

Today I have a PAYG SIM in one of my mobiles that can make that same call for 10p.

How the ***** can BT think they'll get any respect from us, the british public, if they charge this much for a local call?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Call charges ludicrously high.

Inclusive packages with high charges for non-inclusive calls have been the way of the world for some years now, not only with BT. You've spelt out one of the main reasons for this in the first dozen words of your post.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Given that you made a conscious decision to not have a paid for inclusive calls plan as you only want the 'line' for broadband  , (weekend calls are 'free' with the line rental)  so were aware that all call a outside of the weekend would be chargeable , and you have access to a mobile, that could provide the call for less cost, then why did you make the call on the landline knowing it was outside of your included call plan, and had a cheaper alternative available ?

bdg2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

@iniltouswrote:

Given that you made a conscious decision to not have a paid for inclusive calls plan as you only want the 'line' for broadband  , (weekend calls are 'free' with the line rental)  so were aware that all call a outside of the weekend would be chargeable , and you have access to a mobile, that could provide the call for less cost, then why did you make the call on the landline knowing it was outside of your included call plan, and had a cheaper alternative available ?

How dare you tell me what I knew. Of course I didn't know it'd be cheaper to call on my mobile. I assumed that the inclusive calls package was aimed at really heavy users and not some appaling dirty trick to be able to quote a lower line rental price because almost eveyone will find they need the inclusive calls package. Now if you can't do anything except make incorrect insulting assumptions about what I knew or didn't know please GO AWAY.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 5

Yes, the call charges over landline are high...but it's a matter of personal choice.
There are many mobile packages which will give you inclusive calls, within limits, but you don't want to be pestered by incoming calls, day and night, wherever you are, with your mobile in your pocket.
I don't advertise my mobile numbers, unless it's for collecting items from trusted online ordering services, or for emergency calls from family. And even then they only send text messages. I use the mobile for outgoing calls only.
You will have seen all the posts on landline unwanted phone calls, (which are being looked at, and blocked, by BT and others).

Sooner or later these nuisance calls will work their way into your mobile system, as mobile call charges reduce. Imagine the aggro, and inconvenience.

0 Ratings