nacforder

Caller Display Charge from Jan 2014

With regard to the soon to be chargeable options 1571 and Caller Display I am confused as to whether I would be charged or not.

For 1571 I cancelled this a few years ago as it interferred with my Answerphone, so hopefully there will be no automatic 'opt-in' for this for me, but Caller Display ?.

I currently have a phone (BT Graphite) that displays the number calling me. However all talk seems to be of 'BT Privacy at Home with Caller display' being the chargable option. I am not sure if this is what I have. Reading BT website for this addon simply means the User would also be signed up with TPS, but I did this myself, again many years ago, so is what I use simply to get a number displayed on the Phone, so is this 'BT Privacy at home with Caller Display' or not. There is no identification of this on 'My BT' Account Page. I have also read that Inclusive call packages could include Caller Display, my package is Unlimited Evening & Weekend calls 

Contributor
viffergb

Price Rises and Caller Display

Having just received an email notifying me of the increases taking place in January 2014, I'm confused as to how I can continue to have 'Caller Display' feature for free!

The email states that if a 12 month line rental contract is taken up, then it will remain free.  My question:-

Is that the same as paying for 'Line Rental Saver' which I have done for the past 2 years, and is effectively a 12 month line rental contract paid for up front?

Could someone from BT confirm this to be the case, or is there more to it?

Have to confess with all these new charges on virtually everything, it's probably time I started looking elsewhere for a better deal!

Thanks.

Graham

JazzyJ

Re: Price Rises and Caller Display

I think these price rises are outrageous!  I'll certainly be cancelling one of these services by January, the 1571.  I have an answering machine so no need to pay extra.

I would like to keep Caller Display but I hate being held to ransom by these companies.  I don't have a good income so prices rise but my income doesn't!  It's getting ridiculous.

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

No, it's not a line rental saver.  It's simply agreeing to stay with BT for at least another 12 months.

Contributor
viffergb

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the clarification.

So, my understanding is as follows:-

I am currently on 'Broadband Option 1' with 'Unlimited Anytime Plan' at a cost of £16.90 per month + Line Rental

I believe the cost for 'Unlimited Anytime Plan' is £5.15 at present (included in the £16.90).

NB: I am not currently in a contract.  It finished in May this year

Having entered my account no. and telephone number in the Broadband Price Checker for the price after 4/1/2014, it shows the cost rising to £17.98.

However, if I want to continue 'Caller Display' as a free service, then I will need to agree to a NEW 12 month contract with BT.  On taking out a NEW contract, I believe that I will then be subject to the £7.00 monthly charge for 'Unlimited Anytime Plan' as opposed to £5.48.  Is my understanding correct on this point?

If so, will my NEW monthly payment rise to £19.50 (difference between £5.48 and £7.00) + Line Rental?

It really is important that I determine what the actual cost will be.

Expert
davidmridge61

BT Privacy and Caller Display.

I currently get this service for free. I am just reading through my BT 4th January price increase letter and the letter indicates that the cost of this service will be £1.75 per month from the first of January. Can I still get it for free and do I need to do anything?
Sage
imjolly

Re: BT Privacy and Caller Display.

from the letter/email

If you have BT Privacy with Caller Display it will cost you £1.75 a month2 from 4 January 2014. But you can sign up and get BT Privacy with Caller Display free for a year (a new 12-month line rental contract applies).

as you can see if you want it for free you need a new 12 month contract

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Expert
davidmridge61

BT have me over a barrel. I need to cancel BT Answer 1571 because I cannot afford the additional £1.75 per month from 4th January 2014 so I definitely need Caller Display to see who has phoned me but need to sign up to another 12 months in order to receive this for free. So much for free BT Sport.
Sage
imjolly

I like you and probably many others will cancel 1571 especially as many home phones come with answering machine built in

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Expert
davidmridge61

Do I need to cancel my BT Answer 1571 to escape the new £1.75 per month charge? When do I need to cancel?