cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siteguru
Expert
Message 41 of 160

Re: Caller Display

No. What BT sent out (and what was confirmed to me in a Chat) specifically says that you need to recontract in January for 12 months to retain Caller ID/Display as part of BT Privacy. An extract of my Chat is below:

"Ian,to get the caller display free of cost you need to renew the contact for the calling features , its a separate contract , it will not affect your line rental saver nor your broadband contract"

This relates to a new 12 month line rental contract ... it is actually separate to the PAYMENT of the line rental contract.

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 42 of 160

That is correct siteguru. Using the quote that toekneem used

" So from January of next yearwe move to a position where if you want caller display you can have caller display for free, so long as you’re under contract with us and that’s the case with lots of our different
services, BT Smart Talk, a number of different services, it’s within the contract, you get
that free, that will stay on that basis. If however you don’t want a permanent contract
with BT and you want to just pay on a month to month also then they’d be a charge of
£1.75, which is less than the £2 that we were charging for the not making calls and is
significantly less than the £3.30. So what we’ve tried to do is to remove the confusion,
make it very clear that if you have a contract with us you get caller display for free, if
you’re on a month by month basis there’s a £1.75 charge."

Buckley is actually incorrect in what he is stating as follows:
A person is contracted to everything that BT currently offers with such contracts expiring say August 2014. This person does nothing including not pre registering. This non action means they get charged the £1.75 BUT they are on a permanent contract . This DIRECTLY contravenes what Buckley has said.

enigmatic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 160

OK i've had my own online chat now, and here are the relevant extracts which seem to confirm that, even though my phone contract doesn't expire until Sept 2014, and I've paid line rental through until then, I still need to pre-register for Privacy and Caller Display before 6th December this year in order to continue getting CLI for free.

Agent : I can see that your line rental saver contract ends on 12/09/2014. If you pre register to caller display there will be no change in line rental

Me : Just to confirm, I have to pre-register for a new 12 month phone contract starting Jan 2014 but my line rental is paid until Sep 2014?

Agent : You are pre registering only for BT privacy at home and it doesn't change the line rental what you paid. After the contract end you will have to renew.Your (phone) contract ends on 04/09/2014

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 44 of 160

I think the line rental contract ( phone one) ends on 03/01/15 not in the Sept. It is your line saver that ends then.

See this thread as to the mess is can make for me  http://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Existing-customers-packages-from-2014-not-looking-good/td-...(Message 220)

0 Ratings
enigmatic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 160

No, my current line saver ends on 12/09/14 and my current phone and broadband contracts both end on 04/09/14 (which is fine). If I read you correctly, I think what you're saying supports my original thought that I would be tied to a new 12 month phone/line rental contract from 04/01/14, placing me in a similar positiion to you with phone, b'band and line saver all finishing on different dates. So if I want to change provider for both services, I have to be out of contract on phone (say) then pay line rental on a month by month basis until b'band contract expires. As I said in an earlier post, BT certainly don't do 'simple'

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 160

Re: Caller Display Charge from Jan 2014

If you can only view the last number number that rang, but no name or any other numbers, does that mean that you do have caller display? (but an old phone).
0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 47 of 160

Re: Caller Display Charge from Jan 2014

@davidmridge61 wrote:
If you can only view the last number number that rang, but no name or any other numbers, does that mean that you do have caller display? (but an old phone).

If you can see the number at ALL then you have called display. 🙂

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
tickhill
Expert
Message 48 of 160

BT Privacy with Caller Display.

BT Privacy with Caller Display has been a free service for as long as I can remember however, in the small print of a recent email about forthcoming changes from 4 Jan 2014 the BT Privacy with Caller Display is becoming chargeable at £1.75 per month.

Charge can be free for a year provided you take a new one year contract.

Customers who have the service already can pre-register to continue with the above condition is seems..

See:  https://home.bt.com/news/btlife/get-bt-privacy-with-caller-display-free-11363844996657

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 49 of 160

Re: BT Privacy with Caller Display.

Beware if you have a special discounted rate with BT - either an introductory offer, or you have negotiated a discount.

If you agree to a new 12 month contract to keep caller display free, then the chances are that your discount will end before that 12 months expires.  That means you will have locked yourself in for some months at the full price to save paying a small monthly fee.

BT is sneaky like that.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 50 of 160

Re: BT Privacy with Caller Display.

The form says "Pre-register before 6th December 2013". This implies that it's a one-time offer and anyone who hasn't signed up for free caller display at that point will be unable to get it.

Another thing I've heard is that anyone who is under the new BT Privacy contract will be unable to renew their Line Rental Saver.

Oliver.
0 Ratings