cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teakbank12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Calling 0871 number from landline with unlimited anytime plan

I called an 0871 prefixed number believing it was included in my anytime calling plan.

Went into MyBT to look at calls i've made since last bill as i do check occassionally.

Found i've been charged around £2.60 for a call just over ten minutes.

When i found it was a call to Premier Man clothing company who i called to order some items i believed it was included in my plan, on looking at their brochure the number 0871 984 5220 shows in the minutest print possible

"calls cost 13p per minute plus your phone company's access charge"

I just had to read it under the kitchen spotlight with a magnifying glass!!!!

Call cost 13p x 10 minutes = £1.30 so BT access charge doubles the call cost!!!!

Firstly i blame the leaflet for small print read in daylight by a window.

Secondly i guess BT should say only 0870 doesn't include any other 087...prefixes but the access charge seems expensive.

I have barred premium rate calls from my landline and consider this to be one of them.

Opinions please........

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Calling 0871 number from landline with unlimited anytime plan

teakbank12 wrote: i guess BT should say only 0870 doesn't include any other 087...prefixes

BT's definitions of what's covered in their calling plans always state specifically 0845 and 0870 numbers. I can't see why that should be taken to include any other 08 numbers.

Ofcom introduced the dual pricing system a year ago in an attempt (a feeble one in my view) to clarify charges for non-geographic numbers. The access charge is up to phone providers - BT's equates to the cost of a national call, not the lowest but pretty much in line with the rest. The receiving tariff is up to the company concerned; they are required to make it clear but, typically, tend make full use of small print.

Google say no to 0870 and you'll be led to some geographic numbers for Premier Man and plenty of others.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
teakbank12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Calling 0871 number from landline with unlimited anytime plan

I've kicked myself as i do check sayno to 0870 when needing to ring Sky 0844...only free if you have their phone package whereas i'm still pro BT for landline/broadband and also Mobile.

I pay Line rental saver up front, get free caller display after they started charging for it.

More importantly i always understood i had Premium cal barring on my landline as i do have set on BTMobile which i did online for free and limited call maximum costs when they launched BTMobile using EE as i had to move from BTMobile using Vodaphone as a carrier.

Will be ringing BT later asking when they removed Premium call barring from my landline.

I ring annually to see what's the best deal/package with BT for everything apart from TV, likewise i ring Sky who i've been with since they launched & i always get the best deal with them.

0 Ratings