Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Calls To Channel Islands

Go to solution

Hi ,

Im trying , to no avail , to find out how much it costs to call the Channel Islands   , specifically Jersey , both from my mobile  to  landline and mobile. and also from my landline to laadline and mobile.

Jersey is not part of the Family & Firends International offering.

I have Unlimited weekend landline calls but suspect they dont qualify , plus Unlimited BT mobile calls which I also suspect dont qualify.

Ive tried BT online chat and downloading the tafiff guide without an answer !

Can anyone advise please , Im going to be calling quite often and want to take the most cost effective route its not obvious !

Thank you

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 23

Re: Calls To Channel Islands

Go to solution

The price of calls to Channel Isles & IOM are not to be found anywhere in BT's Consumer Price Guide. I have lodged a complaint at their omission.

Apparently their prices will depend on which plan you are on. For the Anytime Plan they are free up to 1 hour to landlines & at normal rates to mobiles.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

As per the BT Tarrif Guide page 19

UK means calls to Local and National numbers beginning 01, 02 and 03, calls to the Channel Islands, calls from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland, calls to internet service providers on numbers beginning 01 and 02 and to any number range charged at g21 rates in Section 2, Part 11, sub-part 1 of the BT Price List. All other calls are charged at Unlimited Weekend Call rates.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks for replies.

I can see on page 6 that calls to Jersey are excluded from calling plans so that takes me to page 19 where it states 3.3p set up fee and 11.3p per minute.

Is that correct.

Also still cant figure out the cost of calling someone in Jersey from to my landline to their mobile ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Not easy this !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

Just use Whats app, free then.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

P19 is only for BT Basic. For the general BT Calling Plans P6 is the operative page. As you say this says that calls to the Channel Isles are excluded. 

That is not what I was told by Live Chat, who told me these calls were included in your plan.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution
Difficult using What's App when my contact doesn't have a smartphone or likely to get one 😏
Still not sure on calling rates to landline in Jersey or to a mobile
At least that proves it's not clear
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

@ROWBOTG2- I share your pain.

I called BT with a similar query regarding call costs to Guernsey from landline (with anytime calling plan) and BT Mobile (with unlimited minutes) and was eventually directed (nay, fobbed off) to the 151-page tariff guide.

It's clear that BT don't actually even know how to interpret the myriad of calling plans and charges in the guide (some of which are no longer on sale).

I asked the agent to direct me to the place in the doc where it specifically states the cost of calling Guernsey from the UK.

He couldn't. He contacted a "floor walker", and a "supervisor" and there were lots of long uncomfortable pauses where the gaps in his knowledge were perceptible and even longer periods on hold.

The call took 1 hour 35 minutes! - and I still haven't got the information. They "thought" it might be 46p a minute at all times (International Call Band A) but Guernsey or Channel Islands isn't in the list of international destinations. I will get a call back in up to 5 days. Great.

BT staff need to get training in their own time - not the customer's time. And BT docs need to be accurate and complete. It seems that the change that @XRaySpeX commendably requested to update the tariff guide has not yet been implemented.

Same old same old BT. Inconsistent at almost everything, except being poor.

P.S. When I got charged for a call to Guernsey I got it reversed by the web chat team. Being 01481 it just looks like a standard UK dialling code and web chat's geography "knowledge" is perhaps more SE Asia-centric than UK&CI-centric.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

I have since found - thanks to @kkkk - that you can use the tesco international calling card or tesco international calling app to call any Channel Islands landline for free.

This is because Tesco allow you to call any "UK landline number" for free and their definition of United Kingdom INCLUDES the Channel Islands. So whilst the Tesco definition is not geographically correct - and BT's definiion is - Tesco's is more advantageous! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

One month on.... still no update to the tariff guide to include cost of calls to Channel Islands, despite previous assurances and despite a new guide having been issued recently.

Also, I have now been quoted 9 different prices by 9 different advisers for a simple daytime landline call from UK to Jersey.

In some ways the degree of conflicting information is is unbelievable, but then I rationalise it all by remembering this is BT!

0 Ratings