cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jwscott22
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Can BT Infinity run through a Virgin Media master socket?

We got fed up of the appalling customer service at Virgin Media so have moved to BT... and apart from the BT Home Hub arriving on time, not much else has been that great so far...

I've set up the BT Home Hub as instructed but we're using the old Virgin Media master socket. Does anyone know if this will work for BT Infinity? Isn't it a different kind of cable??

The initial activation date was delayed from 21st November to 28th November because of a "fault" in the network. Now the 28th has passed and its supposedly activated, we still have the purple lights flashing and no signs of a broadband connection. I called BT yesterday and was told to plug in a phone (I didn't have one) and surprise, surprise that if there was a "fault" our end that we would have to pay BT's extortiante £129.99 for a 5 minute job to fix it... How are they still getting away with this?

Can anyone offer any advice? I'm starting to really regret ever leaving Sky... BT seem to be on the same level as Virgin for customer-care...

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can BT Infinity run through a Virgin Media master socket?

Virgin is a completely different network.

Do you have a BT socket in the home? You must have if you've been with Sky previously, as they use the same Openreach network that BT do.

If not you'll need an engineer to visit and install one, along with connection the cable from outside.

How do you know if it's a 5 minute job to fix?

Why would you expect BT to pick up the bill if the fault is with your home wiring or the way you've set up the kit?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Boudges
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

If you had Sky previously, then you should have a telephone socket in your house. BT engineer should come with an infinity socket if you dont have one.

If you liked a post, please click on the 'Ratings star' on the left hand side of the post.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

I have known OR englneers cut the VM connection outside and hook up the BT connection to the phone side of the siamese cable to save install time.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Can I just point out that you can buy a brand new phone for under £5.  It's handy when fault-finding, or if your mobile ever goes wrong.

0 Ratings