Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

Can I change the amount I pay through direct debit?

Hi all, as the title says really. I am on the 3 month billing and get billed every month to go towards the big one any way when the direct debit was set up I was to pay 23.50 per month and my bill is 30.00 a month but due to this being a high first bill when I went onto the chat to talk to a representative she popped it upto 53.00 per month, I wasn't aware this had gone through as it still stated on my online statement it was 23.50 until yesterday I looked into it more and it as come up 53.00 to be paid on the 24 or after anyway I'm short of funds this months and just wanted to know really if bt would let me change the amount I pay per month by direct debit to 30.00 then I just pay a bit more every fortnight in between the monthly payments and that way it l all be paid in full when I'm next billed. I really don't want to cancel my direct debit. Do you think bt would do this? I'm worrying a bit as I cant talk to them on the chat until tomorrow

thank you in advance

Beginner

Re: Can I change the amount I pay through direct debit?

Sarah87 wrote:

Hi all, as the title says really. I am on the 3 month billing and get billed every month to go towards the big one any way when the direct debit was set up I was to pay 23.50 per month and my bill is 30.00 a month but due to this being a high first bill when I went onto the chat to talk to a representative she popped it upto 53.00 per month, I wasn't aware this had gone through as it still stated on my online statement it was 23.50 until yesterday I looked into it more and it as come up 53.00 to be paid on the 24 or after anyway I'm short of funds this months and just wanted to know really if bt would let me change the amount I pay per month by direct debit to 30.00 then I just pay a bit more every fortnight in between the monthly payments and that way it l all be paid in full when I'm next billed. I really don't want to cancel my direct debit. Do you think bt would do this? I'm worrying a bit as I cant talk to them on the chat until tomorrow

thank you in advance

Hi Sarah,

I just had the same problem! Bt with their great wisdom decided to increase my direct debit without informing me, which is against the rules! I have contacted BT and informed them about this problem, which he agreed that this should not have happened. I told them that I don’t care how much credit I am in, I don’t care how much it increases BUT DO CARE when they are dis-respecting me as a customer. (I know you thinking, hah?? but when you annoyed, you just spit it out lol)

All he could say is that he is sorry, NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!!!! I asked him one simple question, just one! "I have been with BT for over 8 years, got bt vision, got the phone (hahaha) and also have broadband with them. Now you have disrespected me by doing some thing that makes your company have more money, earn interest at my expense, tell me...give me one reason why I should not contact o2 to have my line, broadband transferred?"

His response was "I can’t give you one as we have let you down, you should of received a letter but did not, so we are in error. I can only apologise"  Sky tv (and they do it a lot lol) always send you a letter when they increase the service, they always tell you that the direct debit will increase! SO WHY CAN'T YOU BT????????

As a result the payment has gone down again BUT I still want the complaint to go further. I very doubt that a person on here will help you properly so I would strongly advise that you contact:

From a landline dial:
0800 800 150 

From a mobile dial:
0330 123 4150

or via email: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/2702,2706

and place a complaint about this problem as they are going against the direct debit rules. I have checked this out with my bank, who agree that notice should of been given to me advising the change.

Good luck!

Beginner

[ Edited ]

Sorry just want to add this from there website;

bt.com terms and conditions wrote:

RULE 47:  We will also let you know about a price increase or a change to the terms and conditions that we believe is likely to cause you material disadvantage at least one month before it happens. We will let you know about other price changes and changes to the terms and conditions with your next available bill or by an alternative method if this is simpler.

As the charge of the direct debit has increase, they have to inform you. The charge is what the direct debit covers, so they have broken their own rule.

Beginner

Sorry to add again but must prove my point, here is a good one!!

Direct Debit Guarantee wrote:

Direct debits are now a major part of daily life, with many people using them each month to pay their household bills. The direct debit guarantee is a powerful safeguard for customers. So it’s important that firms make sure their staff understand its provisions.

Unfortunately, many do not. Here are some of the things firms have told customers (incorrectly) when problems have arisen:

‘We don’t operate the direct debit guarantee.’

‘You’ll have to contact the originating company for a refund.’

‘We need a month’s notice to cancel a direct debit.’

‘The guarantee doesn’t apply – because you haven’t suffered a loss.’

If you pay by standing order, it is up to your bank to send the payment. If you pay by direct debit, it is up to the payee’s bank to call for the payment, but you will rightly look to your own bank/building society to ensure the smooth running of any direct debits. Mistakes and errors are covered by the direct debit guarantee.

The direct debit guarantee applies to all banks and building societies taking part in the direct debit scheme. It says that:

If there is a change in the amount to be paid or the payment date, the person receiving the payment (the originator) must notify the customer in advance.
If the originator or the bank/building society makes an error, the customer is guaranteed a full and immediate refund of the amount paid.
Customers can cancel a direct debit at any time by writing to their bank or building society.

Moderator-Retired

Hi Sarah87

I'll be happy to have a look in your account and see what the story is here and if we can get something set up to help you out.

Could you send me an email in please with your BT account and telephone number along with a link back to this thread.

Just send to the address in my profile.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.