cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Can someone explain the technical detail of what happens during a line takeover?

Despite great internet service, I have found some of the bt customer service employees on the phone/live chat to be either dishonest or confused in the past .

I recently completed a home move and unfortunately I was unable to takeover the line as the previous owner had put a cease date a month into the future, which is now today's date. BT cancelled my home move without telling me and claimed it was because another provider said we were moving to them, but couldn't say who. I won't go into the detail of this, but after alot of back and forth it was realised that in actual fact it was because the line hadn't been ceased (which I was unaware of at the time). We eventually rescheduled the line activation for the same day as the cease date.

The previous bt line has now ceased as of this morning and I am told my new package may not be activated until midnight. I phoned up and bt have already had an open reach engineer ' do the work' and 'run a line test' today.

Given a bt line was running perfectly fine yesterday, what work actually needed doing. Why does there have to be a downtime at all? Why can it not be ceased and transferred at the same time? What is the actual work involved? 

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 2

Re: Can someone explain the technical detail of what happens during a line takeover?

There are so many variables, it amazes me that apparently  it’s only a small minority of ‘takeovers’ that fail, although that is no comfort to those like you that are affected....just think, dozens of service providers, different types of ‘lines’ ( WLR, LLU) different order types that could be used to achieve roughly the same thing ( stop, cease ) variations in the ability levels of customer service reps to use the common wholesale ordering system correctly, end users inadvertently asking their provider for the wrong thing, and Ofcom insisting that the wholesale provider cannot deal directly with end user but insisting that they have to deal with the service provider only, no wonder it can go wrong.
Presumably you chose BT (as you are posting here) but how do you know who the previous occupant used ?, what order they asked for, what order type their provider raised and what date they asked for ?, even if it were BT , if they were moving out and not using an OR based provider, or any provider  at wherever they moved to, a cease , rather than a stop arguably is the correct order.
As I understand it, If the previous occupant or their provider asked for a cease , and that was already ‘in flight’ when you asked to takeover the ‘line’, as your provider has no automatic right to disregard that pending cease, unsurprisingly your start/takeover order fails, if the cease is dated well into the future , then that becomes the first date your service could possibly begin, and it’s likely that even though nothing has physically changed , because the line was technically ceased , a provide has to be issued , rather than a start, with the longer lead times that come with a provide order compared to a start order.