cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Cancellation of BT Service Completely

Contacted BT beginning of March to cancel the service completely as I did not agree to their price rise as I had only just signed a new contract 2 weeks before.  Had no internet or any other service from BT since 14th March - they took a payment in March and April and want to charge me a further £107 even though I have had zero service from them.  They acknowledged a fault with the service and never fixed it. Have tried speaking to Customer Service who are woefully appalling to say the least. I want to return my equipment and refuse to pay any further payments as I cancelled the service at the beginning of March as soon as they notified me they were increasing the cost.  I am within my right to cancel as BT changed the parameters of the contract.

Any help as to where I go from here as the equipment is still here, they are charging me and threatening me with credit file reports and the customer service is awful and I get nowhere.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cancellation of BT Service Completely

the increases are included in you contract T&C so that does not give you right to cancel penalty free but if you cancelled in cooling of period then you just need to pay first month or two.

if you are due to pay and do not then it will affect your credit rating

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Annual price rises are written into all contracts, so a rise is no longer grounds to cancel.

If you wanted to cancel within the cooling off period, it would have had to have been within 14 days of the contract starting. If you did then maybe a Moderator can assist.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

As stated , if you signed up , the annual price rise is stated and quoted on the documentation, so it shouldn’t have come as a surprise and isn’t a reason to be excused from your contract…..however if you were inside the cooling off period then you can cancel , that’s got nothing to do with price rises , you could  just say you changed your mind  , but this period is relatively short , it’s not clear if you cancelled within this period or not .

I suppose the bigger question is why did you sign up in the first place , if a price increase was going to be unacceptable, the information at point of sale said the price would go up 31st March , but you signed up anyway , this information wasn’t hidden from you , yet you seem surprised that the price went up …..most providers do this , and have done so for years ….there are fixed price contracts that don’t go up during the minimum term , but generally are more expensive to start with .

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

When you took out your 2 year contract you would have received emails detailing the cost of the package and in these emails was typically this standard wording:

A note about our prices
The monthly price shown for your landline, broadband, mobile, TV and Sport plans, add-ons and all out of bundle charges will change on or after 31 March every year by the Consumer Price Index rate of inflation published in January that year, plus 3.9%.

Did you not receive these emails?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @lea2001gb   When you re-contracted two weeks before, was this because your previous minimum term had expired or you re-contracted mid term to get a better price? If it was the latter then cancelling during the cooling off period would resort to your original contract. Also was it within the 14 days.

0 Ratings