cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chrisb77
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Cancellation of broadband order

I have received an email today to say that our broadband order has been cancelled by BT. We are expecting a hub and an engineer visit on Monday. I understand the reason for cancelling the engineer.
I have cancelled our previous provider because they cannot provide fibre as bt hold the monopoly on it. 
my problem is I’m worried I’m going to be left without broadband as we didn’t cancel. I’ve tried to call and have been in a que for nearly 2 hours without talking to anyone. Like many I am having to work from home and alongside that I work for the nhs so I am quite worried about the internet access. Does anyone know how to talk to someone who can answer some questions?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cancellation of broadband order

You have said that BT have a monopoly, which could be wrong as all ISPs are offered it and it is up to the ISP to decide whether or not to provide it, however because you have said that I assume that you are getting FTTP installed. 

If that is the case, Openreach are not doing any new installations that require a home visit so unless your property has already been set up for the fibre it will not be going ahead. This affects all ISPs that use Openreach.

If it is FTTP that you are getting you should contact BT 0800 587 4787  and ask if they can supply "normal" broadband until Openreach resume the fibre installations.

0 Ratings
Chrisb77
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks, I’ll try that number. We live on a new housing estate so we have a bt line but have never had fibre into the property only a phone line which was installed prior to us moving in. Our current provider is sky but they cannot provide fttp. 

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 4 of 6

It’s not the case that Sky cannot provide FTTP, it’s the case that Sky chose not to offer it,  if you don’t want to use BT,  there are other providers that offer service over a Openreach FTTP, but with Covid-19 restrictions , I doubt if you will get an a Openreach engineer to enter your property ( if a visit is needed to get FTTP up and running )

If you want to continue with Sky , you would need to contact them so as not to cease your service with them, you may also need to contact BT to cancel that.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@iniltous  The OP has already been advised of the best course of action. Contacting Sky would be pointless as BT will already have actioned the line takeover and the disconnection from Sky equipment at the exchange will have been actioned.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 6 of 6

The OP suggest they are getting FTTP , as they say Sky can not deliver ‘fibre’, and that discounts FTTC as they do provide that, given that fact, it’s quite possible the exchange work to recover the MDF jumpering, will not be ‘actioned’, so far from being ‘pointless’, if Sky expedite a reconnection order using the original Sky position , then the OP may get service back quickly , and even if it doesn’t work out, what’s to lose, if BT have cancelled the order , unless they have also said they will temporarily provide ADSL or VDSL over the presumably existing copper pair, then doing nothing pretty much guarantees no landline broadband

0 Ratings