Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Niko8
Beginner
Message 1 of 33

Cancellation "cease charge"!

I have been a customer with BT for a year and a half now and during that time the broadband has been slow and has had repeated intermittent faults. Once it did not work for over a week with no compensation(still charged full bill for the service). The speed averaged 3mbps though this could occasionally drop as low as 0.25mbps. When I complained about the speed I was told I could upgrade to infinity for an additional £20 a month.

When cancelling(after contract had ended), I have been hit by a hidden "cease charge" of £31. At no point during the sign up was I told about this charge, even although I specifically asked for a break down of all costs. The sales team conveniently omitted this fact.

I would 100% recommend you avoid this company until BT get their act together and provide a reliable, fast and transparent service.

The service being provided is quite frankly, not good enough!

Does anyone know if they are allowed to take a "cease charge" without ever making you aware that this will be due on cancellation? I directly asked for them to disclose all costs during sign up.
0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: Cancellation "cease charge"!

See

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/?s_cid=con_FURL_ceasecharges

The Broadband Cease Charge is a compensatory charge raised in certain circumstances to cover the additional cost to BT of the work required within an exchange to recover equipment and amend records when a Broadband line is ceased.

When will the charge be raised?

This charge will be raised should you:

• Switch to a Cable provider
  • Switch to another Broadband provider without following the standard transfer process*
  • Cease your Broadband completely
  • Cease your Broadband and move outside of the UK

When won't the charge be raised?

This charge will not be raised should you:

• Live in an exchange area with no cease charges (use the checker to see this)
  • Move home and you re-connect to BT Broadband via the homemover process
  • Move home and we are unable to provide the service at your new UK address
  • You are ceasing service due to bereavement or severe illness

How much will I be charged?

The cease charge is £31 and will be added to your final bill.

See your full Broadband Terms and Conditions

For information on additional charges you may incur if you leave during your minimum period click here

* This requires you to contact your new provider.

I assume that you were not moving to another broadband provider that uses the Openreach copper network?

All providers that use the Openreach network will raise a cease charge.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 33

The Cease Charge is applied if you cancel your broadband and do not use an approved method to move to another provider.

It is set out in the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when you signed up.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/contracts-early-termination.html

If you use this link and click on "What is the Cease Charge" it explains more.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/?s_cid=con_FURL_ceasecharges

0 Ratings
Niko8
Beginner
Message 4 of 33

I can understand if it was in the terms and conditions however, I specifically asked the salesman what all the charges would be prior to agreeing the contract.

There was never any mention of this "cease charge" at that point. It is not the fact that there is that charge that is most annoying me. It's the fact that I directly asked about the charges involved with the contract before signing up but the salesman decided not to mention the "cease charge". I'm pretty sure he must have known about this? Is it not reasonable to expect he would have disclosed this or am I being unreasonable to assume that he would have done so when asked?

The way it looks to me, he deliberately didn't mention this(when asked) so not to put me off signing up. Personally I think that's wrong but maybe this is something BT promote as ethical?

Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 33

The charge is made by Openreach and passed on to all providers who then pass it on as BT have done in your case if you were using the normal method of changing providers there would be no charge
0 Ratings
Niko8
Beginner
Message 6 of 33

So, the BT salesman would not have known about this charge when I asked him what the charges are? That's a bit incompetent if you ask me.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 33

the charge is nothing to do with BT as I posted it is an Openreach charge made to all providers
0 Ratings
Niko8
Beginner
Message 8 of 33

You are missing the point. My contract is with BT, not with Openreach therefor the charge should be disclosed by BT when they are asked "what are the costs/charges of this contract".

Do you honestly believe BT are in the right but deliberately not disclosing this charge?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 33

As has been posted already the cease charge and the explanation of when it will be charge are covered in th T&C which you have already agreed unless like most you just just ticked the box to sappy you agree without reading them

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/broadband.html

Section 39

it is not a hidden charge

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Niko8
Beginner
Message 10 of 33

I ordered the contract over the phone and not online. Hense why I asked the salesman about the charges and cost of the contract. My argument is that this charge is a material part of the contract. The salesman failed to disclose it when asked directly. It is a matter of principle over just the cost of the charge.

Answer this question directly without automatically backing BT up to the hilt like you appear to be doing.

Does the fact that this charge is in the T&Cs excuse the fact that the salesman did not tell me about it when asked directly about the contract costs/charges? He essentially lied about the costs involved in the contract.
0 Ratings