cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CalleyHoward
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Cancelled BT boradband

I have cancelled my BT broadband and went with another provider as they provide free broadband with thier TV service

Anyway, to the point

I recieved two emails from BT, one requesting my equipment back and another saying i need to pay for my equipment.... i have no problem sending my equipment back as i still have everything and it is all still in good working order

My problem is will i still be charged for the equipment even if i send it back? 

If i will be charged the full amount for the equipment why should i send it back and not just keep it?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cancelled BT boradband

I assume if they are asking you to pay, then you've left within 12 months.  The rule, buried in the small print, is that if you leave within that time, they will charge you for the equipment, but after 12 montsh they will write off the cost.

If you pay for the equipment, it's yours, and you don't have to return it.  But you can if you want to because you have no need for it.

Whether or not you should pay depends on why you are leaving.  If you are leaving because of the price rise, and you informed BT that you are leaving because of that, then you should not have to pay anything.  Under BT's own T&Cs, OFCOM rules and consumer protection law, you have the right to leave without penalty.  If you do that, then BT should not charge you, but could ask for their equipment back, since you're not paying for it.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 3 of 7

Hi CalleyHoward,

Welcome to the forum.  I will be able to answer your question but to understand what is going on I would need to look at your old account.

Can you please get an email off to me?  Please include your old BT account details, if you don't remember these then even your telephone number will be helpful as I will be able to find the account with any of that information.  Click on my username (SeanD) and you will find the 'Mods contact link' under the 'About me' section of my profile.  

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
CalleyHoward
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Basically i have left BT, so got an email saying i needed to pay for my equipment (router and bt vision box) for leaving early, then i got another email saying i needed to send my equipment back

What is the point in me paying for them and sending them back too?

I would rather just send them back

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

I suggest you contact Sean, as you're much more likely to get a helpful response from the mods here than any Indian call centre.

BTare relying on customers sending back their own equipment to BT, so that they can refurbish it and use it as spares to replace faulty kit.  I assume enough people will do / are gullible enough to do that.

CalleyHoward
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I Have contacted him but had no reply yet, contacted him when i posted my last post 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

The forum mods normally reply within 3/5 working days after you have contacted them
They will contact you personally by email or phone