Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carsemoor
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Cancelled BT email - being pursued by debt collector

Go to solution

I cancelled my BT email in July last year giving required 30 day notice after they hiked the price to £7.50pm. It was frustrating trying to cancel and the only way I THOUGHT it had been done was through the customer service 0800 number. I was assured it was cancelled. I cancelled my DD. Next month - bill for £7.50 - call to CS 0800 - told it was definitely cancelled - ignore any bills - next month - bill £15.00 - call to CS 0800 -  told it was definitely cancelled - ignore any bills - next month - bill £22.50 call to CS 0800 -  told it was definitely cancelled - ignore any bills - next month - bill - pay up or we’ll refer to debt collector - regrettably followed CS 0800 advice and ignored - now Debt Collector pursuing for £49.50 (£22.50 + additional admin charges!!). Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this? I’m reluctant to engage with Debt Collector; there’s no info on how to dispute on their demand, just how to pay or to discuss if difficulty paying - oh, and now my debt appears to relate to PSTN ( phone line?) despite NEVER having BT provide my phone line!!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Cancelled BT email - being pursued by debt collector

Go to solution

Try calling the dedicated premium mail team number 0808 100 6778.

Carsemoor
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Will give them a try!!

0 Ratings
loudgraham
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

check your credit score also, in case they have put defaults on there also

Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @Carsemoor,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

Please let us know if the Premium Mail can't get this sorted out for you and we can take a look into this for you?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Carsemoor
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks to the advice from folks in this post, I Spoke to Corrine in Premium Mail. She was extremely helpful. Confirmed my request to cancel had been received. She contacted  BT billing and they will contact the debt collector - she even sent me a confirmation email which I can forward to the debt collector if they do not react to the information from BT billing. Final point - again thanks to folks taking the the time to post - it appears this issue HAS impacted my credit rating - I hadn’t realised but it explains why this had taken such a slump over recent months. Fingers crossed it recovers over the next period as the debt collector takes corrective action!! Thanks again Posters and Moderators

Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @Carsemoor,

I'm glad to hear that the Premium Mail team have been able to get to the bottom of this for you.

If you raise a "Record of Dispute" with Equifax you can ask for the marker to be removed from your credit file. Equifax will then contact BT on your behalf. 

Have a nice day.

Thanks 

Matt

Carsemoor
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks Matt

0 Ratings