cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Cancelling BT broadband

Go to solution

What is people's experience of cancelling broadband and yet retaining e-mail addresses?

Can it only be completed over the 'phone?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cancelling BT broadband

Go to solution

Broadband can only be cancelled by phone. Any email addresses will be downgraded to Basic which is only accessible via webmail. If you want app or client Access you will have to pay £7.50/m for Premium Mail

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

You can only cancel your broadband by calling BT. If you are moving to another provider you do not need to cancel your broadband, the new provider will do that for you.

As regards keeping your email account, your account will be "downgraded" to the BTMail basic account which is free but can only be accessed using a web browser and not by using an email client/app. If you want to use an email client/app you would need to subscribe to BT Premium email for £7.50 per month.

See links.

What happens to my email address when my BT Broadband service stops? | BT Help

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@broadband_user 

As has been mentioned there's no need to cancel your broadband.

In reality unless you want no broadband then don't cancel. Let the new provide take care of that as it's a very much smoother operation and typically you might only be down for a few hours, maybe a day at the most.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Just a reminder that you should check your MyBT to ensure you are either out of contract or pretty close to the contract end otherwise there may be an early termination fee. This would apply for either a straight cancellation or a switch to another provider.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you all for your help.

Perhaps I should have said that we are swapping from copper to fibre supplied by Fastershires so it's not a conventional changeover. We've kept the BT Broadband option open for a couple of years but have decided it's time to burn our bridges while at the same time retain our e-mail addresses. It should be straightforward but I'm prepared for a long sit on the 'phone - I'll let you know how I get on. 

0 Ratings