Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
treblecel
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Cancelling Package at end of Contract

Go to solution

My BT broadband, landline and tv package contract is for 18 months and come mid July the 18 months is up. I will be switching provider for broadband and landline. I believe they will do the changeover and I don't need to contact BT.

I'm wondering if this will automatically terminate my bt tv and add ons too, or do I have to do this myself as I want this terminated as well?

Also what's the earliest date that I can make the change without occurring charges? Is it best to wait until mid July or can I start the process mid to end June?

Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Cancelling Package at end of Contract

Go to solution

@treblecelwrote:

My BT broadband, landline and tv package contract is for 18 months and come mid July the 18 months is up. I will be switching provider for broadband and landline. I believe they will do the changeover and I don't need to contact BT.

I'm wondering if this will automatically terminate my bt tv and add ons too, or do I have to do this myself as I want this terminated as well?

Also what's the earliest date that I can make the change without occurring charges? Is it best to wait until mid July or can I start the process mid to end June?

Thanks for any help.

Hi @treblecel   

As far as I can see it is a requirement to have BT Broadband for BT TV so no BT Broadband means you BT TV ends at the same time.

I personally would wait until the contract has actually ended before switching. That way you know you will definitely avoid paying for equipment and cancellation charges.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

I think you need to give 30 days notice of cancelling your TV service @treblecel , whether you're inside your contract period or not. So if you wait until your contract ends I think you'll have to pay for another 30 days for the TV service, but I would check with BT to be certain and ask the question whether active line takeover would automatically cancel your TV subscription. I wouldn't have thought it would but I don't know for sure.

My advice would be to phone BT and ask, don't use Live Chat and phone as many times as you need to until you're confident that you're being given the right information. Contacting BT can be a bit of a lottery when it comes to reaching someone with the necessary knowledge.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Hi @treblecel if your following the switching process you don't need to cancel your BT TV service or add ons as these will be stopped on the same date your line and broadband transfers. 

The transfer process normally takes 2 weeks to complete from when you place your order and to avoid any possible early termination and equipment charges I'd recommend that you make arrangements to ensure the services don't transfer before the contract end date.

If you'd like to check if there are any offers to remain a BT customer I'd recommend you speak to our loyalty team on 0800 783 1401  open Monday to Friday 8am to 9pm, Saturday 8am to 8pm, Sunday 9am to 6pm

0 Ratings