cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Cancelling contract

I've been with BT since April for Tv and broadband. Ongoing issues are slower than promised broadband speed and loss of sound on the TV. My 'Track A Fault' page shows I have the 'Right to exit 'from October 20th if they cannot fix the internet speed but in talking to an agent yesterday I do not have the right to leave if they cannot fix the TV problem. Is this right? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cancelling contract

@Ridgewoodwoody 

I would expect that to be the case, as BT TV is a separate package.

The broadband speed is the deciding factor, and it would be unusual if BT could not supply the guaranteed minimum speed, as tested using a PC directly connected to the home hub using an Ethernet connection, not wireless connected devices.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

As with many things BT, it's a bit muddy. You cannot have BT TV without BT Broadband, so if they're allowing you to cancel the broadband, the TV must also be cancelled. Whether they intend to charge early cancellation fees for the TV is anyone's guess & I'm afraid you can't rely on the telephone agents for a straight answer. I would suggest that you really need the intervention of a Moderator to firstly verify that the broadband can't be fixed & then to verify the exact terms of cancelling it.

Message 4 of 7

Thank you. Very useful.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

You need to complain about your broadband speeds and let BT try to resolve that. If they are unable to resolve the speed issue you need  to tell them that you want to leave BT Broadbandand the TV packege without penalty.

If they are unwilling to do that you then ask them to supply you a deadlock letter and you then contact the Ombudsman to adjudicate on the matter.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 7

Thank you. It’s now about how long I give them to solve it. They have October 20th as my ‘Right to exit’ date so I’m assuming that if it’s not resolved by then I can leave without penalty. This has been going on since July and occasioned several engineer visits.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

I would not assume anything. You will need to ask BT what if anything they are still doing to resolve the problem. Once they answer that you then advise them whether the time scale they give you is acceptable and if not ask for a deadlock letter. This gives you it in writing that they can not fix the problem.

Do not just cancel your direct debit in the expectation that it means you have cancelled your package.

0 Ratings