Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jaydecay78
Message 1 of 4

Cancelling service but continuing to pay

Hi all,

after some advice......

My wife and I seperated a couple of months ago and our BT account was always in her name.

I have simply continued to pay the Direct debit and havent given it any thought until now.....

I am having to move as my land lord requires my house back.

I have contacted BT about cancelling and they have quoted me some scary amounts with regards cancellation fees....

is it possible for me to cancel the phone line and broadband (As I wont be at the preperty after Jan) whilst keeping the BT TV running so I can use the online apps?

I am happy to continue paying my usual monthly direct debit until the end of my contract term.

how would I go about doing this? I cannot ask my wife to contact BT as she has alot of personal issues at present so would like to sort out myself ideally

thanks

James

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Cancelling service but continuing to pay

BT would not allow that. You really have no alternative but to cancel the existing contract from January. That is going to be difficult as its not in your name.

You could cancel the direct debit, but that would mean BT would chase your wife for the outstanding debt.

Either way, its the account holder which is responsible for any cancellation charges.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi @jaydecay78 and thanks for posting.

@Keith_Beddoe is right. Only the account holder can cancel the services. If it's in your name you can always do a home move which is also an option your wife could chose. That way you could avoid the held to terms charges. Moving home with BT will give you advice on that.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
jaydecay78
Message 4 of 4

thanks for the replies guys.

my ex has already signed a letter that has been sent to BT to start the cencellation process - so if they will not allow me to continue to pay then that is fair enough

do we know how long I would have to pay the final charges? Are they flexible in allowing me to maybe pay in 2 installments? Its nearly £500 which given I already have all the expense of moving this month is going to hurt!

0 Ratings