cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashleytowers1
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Cancelling within 14 days - Time to switch to sky uninterrupted broadband?

I applied to switch to Sky after being charge £60 a month for Superfast Fibre 2 unlimited. Got a phonecall from BT persuading my to stay for a discount. They didn't mention they would be downgrading my line to 

Superfast Fibre Unlimited 

but the confirmation email confirmed that as well as the order on my.bt.com on the 26th (same day as the call and everything was setup on this day). As I didn't want the hassle of complaining on that I decided to let it fly as it was only a modest decrease. Unfortunatly on the 27th this has now changed agan to 

Superfast Fibre Essential Unlimited ( a much slower product, I've confirmed by speed checks I'm on this). 

I logged a complaint but keep saying I will get a call which I never got, now have to wait for Monday. So the qn is as I have a cooling off period of 14 days can I trigger that but keep the old product of new product running long enough to successfully switch to sky (which i would be getting at the max speed and none of this hassle)? 

Broadband - Superfast Fibre Unlimited

Your broadband will start by midnight on: 26 Feb 2019 

How fast will it be?We estimate your download speed will be between 50Mbps and 71Mbps, and your upload speed will be between 14.3Mbps and 20Mbps. 

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 44Mbps. 
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Cancelling within 14 days - Time to switch to sky uninterrupted broadband?

Welcome to this user forum.

@ashleytowers1 wrote:

Broadband - Superfast Fibre Unlimited

Your broadband will start by midnight on: 26 Feb 2019 

How fast will it be?We estimate your download speed will be between 50Mbps and 71Mbps, and your upload speed will be between 14.3Mbps and 20Mbps. 

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 44Mbps. 

That is the maximum package anyway, you will not get any faster unless you can get ultrafast.

What you have been offered is the new replacement  package.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
ashleytowers1
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Theres 3 packages:

Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited  <-- was on 

Superfast Fibre Unlimited  <--- email shown above (and my.bt.com) confirmed I was ordering after retention call (like you said speed range wasn't much different for me so wasn't too bothered on that part)

Superfast Fibre Essential Unlimited <-- magically changed to on 27th on my.bt.com

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number 01305XXXXXX on Exchange WEYMOUTH is served by Cabinet 45

VDSL Range A (Clean)71.249.82014.344Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)68.845.42012.637.2Available---- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 4--3 to 7Available--Yes 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 4Up to 0.53 to 7Available--Yes 
ADSL MaxUp to 3--2 to 4Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available--Yes 
Fixed Rate1----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)43.68     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)11.26     
Observed Date2019-01-29     
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapN      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date20-02-2019 
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

With an estimate of 55-71 he wouldn't be able to get Ultrafast anyway. Too far from the cab even if it was available.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Range A shows a connection speed  49.8 to 71.2Mbs. You have been quoted a speed within that range, which is the maximum speed your line will support, whichever provider you are with.

What connection speeds are showing?

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

0 Ratings
ashleytowers1
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Here you go. Iike I said this appears to confirm I'm on the "Essential" speed (as per my.bt.com 27th)?

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

<removed>

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

28-Feb-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 22 Hours 37 Minutes 45 Seconds

Data rate:

12.67 Mbps / 43.18 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

12691 / 42486

Noise margin:

6 dB / 6 dB

Line attenuation:

18.9 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Your max data rate is only 42.486Mbs at the moment, but the fact that your upstream data rate is greater than 10Mbs, would indicate you are on the higher package, but you may have to wait for the noise margin to be reduced to 3dB before you see any change.

You may have an issue with your line, or your internal wiring which is affecting the connection speed, as its below the handback speed. What connection speed were you getting before?

Can you connect things up as shown below, and see if the connection speed improved?

infinity_test.jpg

0 Ratings
ashleytowers1
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

I've was regularly getting 7-8MB download previously (I did check the old hub didn't have logs from that but they don't persist once you disconnect). I have an official BT box with two sockets (microsplitter included). I more concerned about why it would tell me I'm on essential package (my.bt.com) when the order was for the other package (email in thread). Would it autochange for whatever reason if there was noise?

Your package overview

Broadband
Superfast Fibre Essential Unlimited
  • Unlimited usage
  • Average 36Mb download speed
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Expert
Message 9 of 11

@Keith_Beddoe, the OP is connected to cabinet 45 on the Weymouth exchange which is ECI, so unfortunately the target SNRM won't drop lower than 6 dB.
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Expert
Message 10 of 11

@ashleytowers1wrote:

Would it autochange for whatever reason if there was noise?

How do you mean? The type of technology (ADSL/VDSL) wouldn't change, but the Hub may drop connection, if there's too much noise.

0 Ratings