cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Cannot access new package/deals without leaving BT.

OK just a last gasp attempt at help before I go to Sky. I have been a customer of BT for years and to be honest I prefer to remain one as I have had good service, unlike many friends who have some of the other providers complete with issues. I am out of contract with BT, so currently getting ripped off price wise. I have ateempted to access the web-based offers, or negotiate a better deal on a standard broadband package, but have come up against what I can only describe as obstinate stupidity from everyone I have spoken to. I actually WANT to remain a customer but they just seem to want me to leave. The best I can get is near on £40 for a basic unlimited broadband and weekend calls package, which is way more than other providers are quoting (INCLUDING BT!!) for superior packages. They have suggested the only thing I can do is move to another provider (yes really, one of the sales people actually suggested I would be better off with SKy), or else I wpould have to actually terminate my contract and then have a period of downtime before I could then take up a replacement contract. After speaking to many different people I can only say that BT has gone completely mad. It would seem that they don't actually care if I stay or go, no negotiation, and being an existing customer is obviously a huge disadvantage. Has anyone got any solutions to this madness?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Cannot access new package/deals without leaving BT.

Welcome to this user forum.

Have you spoken to BT UK customer options team on 0800 800 030, as they are in the best position to negotiate a deal with you?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

If it made financial sense to retain customers you can bet the bean counters would be making BT offer deals to existing customers.

BT like many other ISPs would rather not offer any good deals to retain its customers because they know that the vast majority will just stay regardless and probably not even look for a better deal in the first place.

Because all the ISP seem to do this they know that for every customer they lose they will attract a new customer from one of the other ISPs. It's swings and roundabouts to them.

All you can do is try calling the Options Team on 0800.800 030 and see what they will offer but don't expect anything special. Be prepared to tell them you are leaving and just do it. You may be contacted by the retentions team at some point but again, don't expect any spectacular deals.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

I think your reply has hit the nail on the head. I know at least a few family members who don't even bother to check the latest deals with all sorts of things, not just broadband/phone packages. They just blindly renew, like you say a firm like BT's dream customer, and I guess they REALLY don't care about someone who is a bit savvy. yes I have spoken to the "retentions" team, but I got the impression the lady I was talking to was probably sitting with her feet on the desk, filing her nails and looking out of the window while she was "negotiating" with me. bit of a sad state of affairs but I guess my only option is to vote with my feet and go elsewhere. Anyone got any good suggestions for a reliable alternative? At least BT have provided a good service over the years, I have heard some bad stories about other providers and know from past involvement with this part of the industry that BT are likely to prioritise infrastructure problems that affect "their" customers rather than a competitor, who has to use a BT line to provide his service. Unless thins have changed, do I understand that "BT" now but the line provision from Openreach? What about Sky they seem to have decent press? I am only looking for broadband, don't want extra TV channels or even a landline really.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

@abandon_all_hope Discussion of other ISP deals are not allowed on this forum.

There are some public forums where you could ask, or use the forum provided by the ISP you want to move to, and ask people what they think of the service provided. Its a good idea to do that, before making any move.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

It's against forum rules to recommend/discuss competitors fees/deals so you will need to just search out the deals your self. Check out their forums aswell to get a flavour of their customer service etc.

Openreach have to treat all its customers with the same contempt and do not show favouritism to BT so it doesn't matter which one you go to as regards getting faults carried out

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

I meant reliability not pricing, but never mind. Just been giving it some thought though, I can imagine the BT sales meetings now, to be honest. "what is a loyal customer?" Answer: 1. An idiot? 2. A good source of ££££?. Certainly not one to be treated with any sort of priority or respect, obviously. Ah well guess it's goodby BT........ Don't really know why they call it British to be honest but I won't go into that one.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

@abandon_all_hope

if you decide to leave BT then I would check that fibre is available from your cabinet and there is no waiting list otherwise you will give up your BT Infinity and end up on the waiting list - the connection does not transfer when you move  it is cease and re-establish

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 14

I can tell you exactly what the public at large will advise on provider reliability, if they can be bothered to say anything at all. Those who've enjoyed a reasonable service will tell you their provider is great, while those who've had problems will tell you to avoid theirs' like the plague. In truth, there's probably not much to choose between them overall, though they do seem to take turns to go through a rough patch now and then.

Sticking with one provider isn't necessarily blind renewal. Opportunity certainly exists for financial savings by switching each time your minimum period ends but, at the same time, that risks a barrowload of grief when the switch goes belly up (eg, see imj's post above). I won't go to the trouble and risk the grief just to save a few quid a month; having a couple of beers fewer is better for mind and body.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 10 of 14

who said I had BT infinity? I would like it, but they won't let me have it, at a reasonable price.
0 Ratings