Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkj007
Message 1 of 15

Cannot view recent usage

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm posting this in the billing section of the forum because that's where the BT 'help desk' think my issue is (I'm cringing when I write 'help', it has been anything but). So, I'm posting here in  the hope I can get more sense out of a BT rep here than I have so far had in my dealings via emailing the complaints section of the BT website and indeed the three phone calls I've made to the 150 number (total time in call centre queue hell almost an hour).

31/01/2014: I tried to view recent usage for a particular date range on the mybt section for 'My usage' > click on 'recent usage' > select 'show filter options'. I selected a date range - in fact I tried several date ranges - from the drop-down calendars and two error messages are displayed:

• "We are sorry but you have either failed to enter some of the required information on this page or not entered it in the correct format. Please correct and submit the page again, thank you."
  • "Sorry, that date range wasn't valid - please check and try again." 

Of course, I can't change the format of information I add, if I'm adding it by selecting data generated by the website...

So I sent an email complaint to the BT website and received an auto response stating someone would respond in 48 hours (ref. available if requested). No-one responded in 48 hours. In fact, non-one responded at all so I called 150 on 05/02/2014.

05/02/2014: I spoke to a person in a call centre for about half an hour. It was very difficult to understand what he was saying as he had very thick, foreign accent - and presumbably he therefore must've found it very difficult to understand me in what probably camea across as a very thick, foreign accent (he's probably bemoaning the fact that the English don't understand anythingt they say!). He confirmed he couldn't replicate the issue because he didn't have access to the BT website! He said he'd escalate my call to a technical team who would call back within 20 - 48 hours. Guess what? Yup, no-one called back.

10/02/2014: After five days with no callback from the escalated call, I emailed a different BT complaints link on the website (ref. available if requested). No response within 24 hours so I called the 150 number at around 7.30ish pm. I stepped through the BT call menu. It was hell. I don't think there is a more confusing and utterly useless call menu system known. There are probably people lying dead on their kitchen floor with the phone still pressed against their ear and the message bleating out "press 5 for help, press 6 for more help, press 7 for a giggle, press 8 for a laugh. I'm sorry, the office has now closed..."

11/02/2014: I spoke to a person in the 150 call centre. Accent even thicker than the last person. We really struggled and eventually he said he didn't know the answer and would update my call notes and escalate it to the technical helpdesk. He said he was going to transfer me. I shuddered with horror. The line went quiet and then the automated voice piped up "Your call is very important to us. Waiting times are five to ten minutes." etc Five to ten minutes???

I hung up after ten minutes and called 150 again at around 7.55pm. I knew this was futile because the stated closing time is 8pm but I fancied my chances - I was feeling bold! Hah - pity the fool! After ten minutes or so a lady answered, slightly clearer accent and we could at least have some form of a conversation. She asked me to explain the problem, I told her to read the call log instead. She read the last chap's call notes, in which it transpired he'd written "customer cannot log in to BT website. He needs new password". So this reinforced the fact he had no idea what my issue was.

The lady set up a remote connection to my computer and watched me step through the web site to display the error. She had a think, suggested some ideas, all to no avail. The line went quiet. I broke out into a sweat... no, not the dreaded 'on hold' ... the horror ... the horror ...Then her sparkly voice came back on line again. She couldn't fix the problem and said it was an issue to do with billing and that she'd transfer me direct to billing. She tried that but came back fairly quickly to say the billing team office had closed. My hope was all but extinguished. My mouth was dry. I croaked "help me, please help me...". She said she'd call me back the next day between 7 - 7.30pm and put me directly through to the billing team. A ray of light flashed through the heavy mist of confusion which had settled in my mind.

12/02/2104: I rushed home like an eager child looking forward to Christmas. The BT lady called me back bang on time - good girl! She said she'd put me through to the billing team via an internal number and I wouldn't be put in a queue. Hurrah! With some trepidation I listened as she hung up and I was gently submerged into the queue system. I held my breath - I knew it wouldn't be long ... and then ... and then ... "YOUR CALL IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US. WE ARE VERY BUSY AT THE MOMENT AND WAITNG TIMES ARE CURRENTLY FIVE TO TEN MINUTES".

I crumbled. My world shattered around me. I hung around in the queue system for another ten minutes or so just for old times sake and then hung up.

I called 150 again, around 7.30pm and went through the automated call menu system hell for a few minutes before ending up I don't know where. (I'm sure if I pressed the right combination of 1's, 2's and 3's I'd suddenly find myself in the middle of a Super Mario game).

I hung around in a queue for 12 mins and 57 seconds (I checked on the phone) and then a man answered. His accent was thicker than all the others - we had no chance! He asked me to explain the issue and again I said it'd be better if he read the call log (I've noticed a lot of people in call centres do this - why can't they just read the call log?? And before you say I can't comment, well I can - I used to work in a call centre and the system is in place to leave very detailed call log notes. with time of call, date, etc, so there's no excuse). Asking the customer to explain the issue each time just ends up with confusion.

So this new chap said he'd forward me to the billing team because I insisted he get someone from the billing team to come and sit next to him and speak to me, because I did not want to be put on hold or in a queue. So just for a giggle he put me on hold - and the four seasons squawked out of the phone. Ah well, at least I wasn't being tolds how important my call was! Mustn't grumble...

After 15 minutes or so (I checked my watch), I hung up. I was done for the day, exhausted by my effort to get BT put together a tangible plan for fixing the issue. But wait, there was still time left in the day, so I tried calling again - what fun! I was back in the queue again, the phone rung and run and run (for seven more minutes in fact) and then ... click .... "The office has now closed".

So what now? I'll tell you 'what now', I'm at a loss as to who else I can speak to at BT, to get a person who can put in place the measures to retrieve a standard telephone provider's service: my itemised bill for a particular date range. (The website says it can retrieve data from up to 15 months previous use, and I only need something from three months ago). Call ref is at the ready. I look forward to hearing from you ... (and no, I'm not calling 150).

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Cannot view recent usage

Go to solution

I have tried this and get the same problem.

However what you need to do is enter a billing period start date and an end date to get the thing to work - my bills run from the 20th to the 19th so I had to enter say 20/6/2013 to 19/8/2013 to get the analysis.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Hi mkj007 and welcome.

Can you try Conrads advice (thanks Conrad) and if that doens't work then drop me an email with your details. You'll get the 'contact us' form in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

DavidM - is there any way for it to be made clear that you must enter dates that correspond with the start of the billing period and the end of any given billing period.  The current option is completely misleading in giving you a date range option that is incompatible with what has to be entered - most other businesses appear to have the the ability to search personal data history over any given reasonable time frame which is not tied into billing periods.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

The flipping thing is now working ok Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Jayell
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

I have been trying to check on calls made in September last year (2015) and have been using the 'filter options' in the Recent Usage to specify the dates, selecting the dates with the calendar drop downs. It has failed every time with the messages "Sorry, that date range wasn't valid - please check and try againl."

2016-02-11_21-05-56.jpg

I found the post by mkj007 dated 12/02/2014 "Cannot view recent usage" and read the 'solution' by DavidM.

I noted the exact dates covered by my bills - always the 20th to the 19th, and tried entering those. Still the dates 'are not valid'. I have tried several different billing periods.

If the 'flipping' fault did clear back in 2014 it seems to have appeared again for me.

I wasn't using the View or Call type filters, although I think I did set the Call type to "to a UK phone line" once.

I don't know whether to put personal details in here but will provide them if needed to investigate this problem. Perhaps not many people make use of this feature, otherwise I don't understand why others are not experiencing this problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
Do not post personal information on the forum as it is a public forum and also it is against forum rules to post personal information on the forum

the billing pages have recently been updated so that may be the cause of your problem this sort of thing happens from time to time and normally resolves itself after a while
0 Ratings
Jayell
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
Thank you for your advice and response to my query.
I have tried again this evening and get the same "date range wasn't valid" message. Surely a BT customer service web site should not be subject to failures that come and go. I feel I am entitled to a higher level of service that than when I wish to check on details of my bill.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
every website suffers problems from time to time it is not just specific to this site
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

It's not a fault with the website, just the tortuous way it works.

"Recent usage" is only for calls made since your last bill. To see earlier calls, select "Usage and analysis" and look at the View dropdown list. Most of the options produce a chart, but if you choose one of the bottom three you'll get a list of calls. Then select the billing period or date range you want and click View. Voilà. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.