Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kated295
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Cease on the line - please help us

Please help us!

We bought our home last month and have been trying to set up broadband for over 6 weeks.  The previous owners were with BT and we also want to set up BT broadband.  However, the previous owners  have arranged to transfer their old number to their new home and BT has put a "cease on the line" until 21 January 2021 while this happens. They did not request a transfer on 21 January, so we do not know why this date has been allocated.  We have ordered BT broadband over 10 times and spent literally tens of hours on the phone to BT, but every order gets cancelled by Openreach because of the cease on the line.  The previous owners have phoned BT twice to ask for the cease to be lifted or brought forward, but this has not solved the problem.  They are elderly and don't understand what is happening, so we cannot reasonably ask them to phone again.

We have tried ordering a new line and a second line, and neither gets around the problem.  I can see that someone else recently asked a question on the forum about this and had it resolved, but they didn't say how.  As it stands, we face being without broadband until 21 January. We both work from home (one is a key worker) and this is causing immense stress and difficulty for us both.

Please can someone help us, we are absolutely desperate!!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cease on the line - please help us

I have asked mods to see if they can help you get connected  they will post here but are busy so may be a few days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 3 of 7

Hi @kated295,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. I'm sorry if there has been a delay in setting up the service at your new address.

If the previous homeowner is taking their service with them to their new address, we would need to wait for the transfer of service to be completed before we could start the service in your name.

The only way around this would be to get a brand new line installed to the property. If you send me your details, I can take a look to see what would be the best way forward.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
kated295
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Spoiler
Hi Paddy, thanks for looking into this. I have replied to your PM.

We appreciate that they want to transfer their service, but why is it going to take 3 months? That can’t be right. The previous owners definitely did not request a 3 month delay. They’ve told us they’re also desperate to get internet ASAP in their new home, but communicating this problem to them is a struggle because they’re elderly. 

BT has tried to order a new line for us, several times in fact, but each one has been cancelled by openreach. We tried to get a second line this week but openreach cancelled that as well. 

Is there a way for BT to speak to Openreach and stop them cancelling the order for a new line?
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 5 of 7

@kated295wrote:
Spoiler
Hi Paddy, thanks for looking into this. I have replied to your PM.

We appreciate that they want to transfer their service, but why is it going to take 3 months? That can’t be right. The previous owners definitely did not request a 3 month delay. They’ve told us they’re also desperate to get internet ASAP in their new home, but communicating this problem to them is a struggle because they’re elderly. 

BT has tried to order a new line for us, several times in fact, but each one has been cancelled by openreach. We tried to get a second line this week but openreach cancelled that as well. 

Is there a way for BT to speak to Openreach and stop them cancelling the order for a new line?

My guess is they asked for the cease date to be the same as the provide date at their new address, if they are keeping the same number then interfering with the order could mean they lose the telephone number.
They could be moving to a new FTTP area and it's being delayed due to work needed to provide the new service.

The mods will help and a 2nd line install would mean your order doesn't require any changes to the previous occupants order, it could be delayed by available engineers but might still be the fastest option in the current circumstances.

0 Ratings
kated295
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Thanks Richie.

They’re actually moving down the road so it’s not a new area, nor a new build.

Our order for a second line was cancelled by openreach today, same as all the other orders. Happy to try again, but so far the second line idea hasn’t fixed the problem, which is odd as I agree that it shouldn’t interfere with whatever is happening on the other line. 

Totally baffling.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

I would just wait for mods to get back to you and get their help to sort things out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings