cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 2 of 9

Change Account Holder Christian Name Only

Being driven up the wall.  Have 4 computers, not one of which is used by the missus, it's not something she does.  Moved home and as I was busy doing the packing she had the pleasure of using the phone to get services transferred to our new address.  Having problems now caused by changeover to Norton, which I was quite happy with when we had them back in the late 90s.  Having no joy as I'm "not the account holder".  I'm the one who pays the bills and it's only the Christian name that changes not any of the other details.  Tried to get joy with phone calls, wait for ages and promised solutions but it never happens.  This morning on Help given 0800 111 345 to ring and sort it out but BT doesn't even recognise their own publicised phone number.  Looked at it and I've got ages to run on my contract, changed to Halo3+ in the hope that it would sort the problem out, no chance.  If I can't get any joy over the phone and can't get any joy on the Help Lines then what the ..... am I supposed to do????   Being driven to total despair as it's a shambles not of my making, BT called the shots and now they're giving me the sh.ts.  Anyone else out there with the same problems.  My missus doesn't do computers like I said.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9

Re: Norton Update problems

Still happening but now I can't even get my emails up.  Won't recognise me as the account holder because my missus, who doesn't use any of the 4 computers I have, was the one who phoned up when we moved house because I was busy doing the manual work i.e. packing.  I'm the one who pays the bills and uses the gear.  I've been hours on the phone with the useless gits and they say it's sorted but it never is.  Upgraded to Halo3+ in the hope that it would sort it, it didn't.  Got yonks to run on my contract because of this and so it will cost me a lorra lorra money to sack the contract, I'm almost an octogenarian so can do without this hassle but phoning BT doesn't help and the online "Help" just goes round in circles taking me back to the same pages I've been to.  Losing the will to live.  I'll swing for someone eventually.  Oh, it won't let me change to Norton either, just thought I'd mention that.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: Change Account Holder Christian Name Only

@S4Brains 

Who`s name is on the bill, as that would be the account holder. It does not have to be the same person who actually pays the bill. It would be the person who placed the order for the service, as they would be responsible for any usage.

The account holder cannot be changed while a contract is in force.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

To BT the customer is your wife if the account is in her name, you could add yourself as an account manager though.
See What's the difference between an Account holder and an Account manager in My BT? 

Message 5 of 9

I speak to them and they say it's sorted but just carries on.  I hoped to get things sorted by changing the package, i.e. going to Halo3+, which just happens to be more expensive than what I was on before.  They let me do that readily enough but try and get things working properly that's another matter.  Will have to find out if I can get out of the contract, runs until Feb 23, to show who in actual fact is the owner of this but it's like talking to the wall trying to get BT to sort things out.  It's supposed to be a communications company is it not?  My name is on everything except that initial house move palaver and getting to the point I might just take the 60 odd quid hit for peace of mind.  Nobody even seems to talk sense to me on the Community Help site.  I'm knocking on a bit but still think I'm pretty clear headed but starting to get frazzled.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

what you are trying to do is not simply changing the account holder christian name as it is spelt incorrectly but actually change the account holder from your wife to you.  As already posted this is not going to happen as you cannot change account holder

not sure what the £60  hit is but if cancelling contract then it will be considerably more than £60 if it runs until Feb 2023

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Not sure what the issue is , in most cases if asked ‘are you the account holder’ and you are not, you put the account holder on, they give permission for the call centre rep to deal with you, and they deal with you as the account holders proxy…I dare say some will simply ‘impersonate’ the account holders voice , and the ‘proxy’ should presumably should be able to answer the security questions etc….
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

The missus isn't tech savvy, she was just the one who phoned up to move BT to our new address when we moved house.  I'm the only one who has ever had anything to do with the computer side e.g. BT deleted her email address because it has never been used.  I'm just going round in circles and at 79 I don't need it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi @S4Brains and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry you're having problems updating the Norton. I'm sure I can help solve this for you. I'll drop you a private message now so you can send over your details.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings