Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redlester
Message 1 of 4

Change account holders name?

Go to solution

Hi

I moved in with my now wife last December. Our Primary ID for the BT account is in her name, however the bills are addressed to her ex-husband who she divorced some time ago and who no longer lives at the address the bills relate to.

We need to have our bills changed such that they are in the name of my wife and myself.

I understand from reading various things on this site and others that it is not possible to simply change the name on the account, and that the account will have to be closed and a new one opened - is this correct?

We have landline, BT Infinity and subscribe to BT Sports via Sky, and my concern is the potential disruption to our services should we start the ball rolling on this. Can someone please explain the actual procedure - can the account be closed and immediately shifted to a new account keeping the same number etc. on the same day? 

What is required to close the existing account in the name of my wife's ex-husband? Do we need to obtain anything from him in writing in order to do so? Does this need to be sent by post (if so to what address) or can it be done by e-mail (if so to what address)?

I would be grateful if this could be clarified as soon as possible.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Change account holders name?

Go to solution

Its not possible to change the name on the account. The existing contract would have to be cancelled, and a new contract started in your name only, you cannot have joint names.

The account closure would have to be initiated by your ex-husband. There is likely to be a loss of service as it would have to be a cease and re-provide.

0 Ratings
redlester
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks Keith. This confirms my worst fears.

Absolutely crazy that an account cannot be in the name of man & wife, such that we are both jointly liable for the bill.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Its got to do with the fact that BT have to do a credit check against the account holder, so one of you will have to start a new account in their name and be responsible for the bills and any default.

I seem to remember that the same rule applies to other utilities, you can only have one person responsible for the account.

0 Ratings