Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aidan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Change name on phone line account.

Go to solution

I'm in the process of moving house, and my son is buying my house and wants to keep the landline (phone number). I'm only about six months into my broadband contract, and would like to move the broadband to my new address. Is it possible to change the landline to my sons name and keep the broadband in my name and move it too the new address.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Change name on phone line account.

Go to solution

@Aidan 

That is not possible. Your son would need to open an account in his name, once you have moved your BT service to your new address.

He would be given a new number to start with, but he could then request a renumber back to the original number.

Aidan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks Keith.

That's good news on being able to request the original number back again. At the end of the day we should end up where we wanted to be ;).

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

@Aidan wrote:

Thanks Keith.

That's good news on being able to request the original number back again. At the end of the day we should end up where we wanted to be ;).

Its never 100% guaranteed, and may need manual intervention by a moderator.

0 Ratings
Aidan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Seems like it could be a lot of faffing about. Is it possible too transfer the account over to him. If so might be the easiest way. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@Aidan wrote:

Seems like it could be a lot of faffing about. Is it possible too transfer the account over to him. If so might be the easiest way. 

No, a change of account holder is not possible in this case.

When you move, the existing line will be ceased, and your son would need to apply for service in his name. BT run a credit check against all new account holders, and he would have to agree to a 24 month contract.

0 Ratings
Aidan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks again Keith for your time and patience.

I suppose we're back to the original solution, i'll transfer my broadband over too the new address, and he can apply for a new account and try to get the old number reinstated. 

The reason he is looking to keep the land line number is we live in the country bad mobile phone signal, and he does 24 hour call outs every two weeks. It's just to save him the bother of giving out a new number, other than that i think he would just drop the landline phone. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

The only thing to be aware, is that in many areas now, phone connections are being provided over BT Digital Voice, as the analogue phone network is being closed down.

In practice, all it means is that the phone service will terminate on the BT Smart Hub 2, which is a DECT base station, and also has a socket on the back where you can plug in existing phones.

You may also find that this is the case for your new address.

0 Ratings
Aidan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Oh didn't know they where closing down the analogue phone network, do you know when.

As for my self i won't be having a landline phone.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@Aidan wrote:

Oh didn't know they where closing down the analogue phone network, do you know when.

As for my self i won't be having a landline phone.

The target is by the end of 2025.

This two page article explains it https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt1

Also https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network

0 Ratings