cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Changed Payment details/Direct Debit

Hello,

I recently changed my payment details on the 10th April to a different account via ‘mybt’ and got an email from BT saying that the change would be set up in regards to my direct debit.

However I have received nothing from BT to notify me that it has gone through. I have had no Direct Debit mandate in the post to sign to authorise and set up the Direct Debit.

I obviously appreciate these are busy times with Covid-19 but I am heading towards my bill payment day on the 27th and I don’t know if it has been set up yet. I obviously don’t want to make a late payment!

Can anyone please advise on what I need to do to find out if it’s been set up, if it’s going to take a while (would it even be ok for me to make a payment online until it has been set up?) or is there anything else I need to do.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Changed Payment details/Direct Debit

If you updated the bank details online or via the app, that's you done, have you entered the new account number and sort code ?
There's no mandate needed to sign or take to the bank.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi Richie,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did log in to ‘mybt’ and changed my  payment details on there with the new account number, sort code etc. This was back on the 10th April. As soon as I did that I got an email from BT saying they would set it up and wait to hear from my bank.

I just assumed I would have had some kind of confirmation from either my bank or BT that its set up? Or if indeed it hasn’t.

I checked my bank’s FAQ (Natwest) and they say they need something signed to set up a Direct Debit. As I have received nothing whatsoever I was starting to worry a bit.

I guess I just wanted to be absolutely sure it was ready to go for money to go out on the 27th.

So it could be set up and I won’t know if it isn’t until or shortly after the 27th?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Have you checked if the bank account details have been updated in MyBT? (That said, I'm not sure if those details would be changed in advance or only when the new  ones are implemented.) If you use internet banking, you should also be able to check whether the DD is showing in the relevant account.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the reply.

If I look at my payment details on mybt it’s showing the account I have changed it to and the information is correct.

I have checked my online banking app and it says it doesn’t show direct debits on there until the first payment has gone out.

Looks like the only option is I wait until the 27th and see if it goes out or not. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

@Jontat83UK wrote:

If I look at my payment details on mybt it’s showing the account I have changed it to and the information is correct. Then I think you've got nothing to worry about.

I have checked my online banking app and it says it doesn’t show direct debits on there until the first payment has gone out. Worth checking but I'm not surprised. I think banks accept new DDs, particularly from high-level businesses, without routine paperwork;  that's not a worry for customers because the DD Guarantee requires banks to replace funds immediately if a customer disputes a payment.

Looks like the only option is I wait until the 27th and see if it goes out or not.  Looks to me as though it will be OK.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings