Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
smith9891
Message 1 of 16

Changed to infinity price hiked!

Go to solution

Hi, recently changed back to BT broadband for the speed of infinity (which is excellent). I wanted to tell everyone I knew how good it was and all the horror stories about BT were in the past. Then I got my ebill which now says I am £124 in debit and my new monthly bill will be £70. Now I have added in anytime calls etc and I told the other half it would be @ £50 per month + any calls she made - which should be less now she can call any 01 / 02 numbers. I think I understand the reasoning that BT have worked out that I will be behind by the time my next bill arrives but at £50 per month (or so) I would still be at 0 (as far as I can work out).

Do I have to pay the £70 or would I be better off just cancelling the DD (not sure I can do this on an infinity contract) and paying it per month ? Can the £70 be renegotiated and then reviewed in a couple of months.

Can I pay the years line rental in advance and would this make any difference ?

Any help appreciated!

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Changed to infinity price hiked!

Go to solution

If you would like to try Live Chat they should be able to help you.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
No point speaking to live chat on this.

bt do not advise correctly when taking out the contract. Initially you need to pay the full 3 months up front ong with any one-off payments and then pay your monthly fee.

the only way to ensure you pay exact amount is to switch to monthly billing.

Reason I know this is because I raised same query and you should always be paying towards next bill.

In my view BT need to inform customers correctly at time of order and say they must pay x amount upfront to keep payments correct.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
Live chat is certainly the best method of contact as you can keep a copy of the text it is also the method reccomended by the forum mods for billing queries
0 Ratings
smith9891
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Well - maybe i was lucky but live chat sorted out my issue straight away with no fuss at all. I really wanted to moan but i cant 😞 I do agree with the above post that BT hould explain more clearly that they want to bill up front. I'm sure its in the small print somewhere.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

@john46 wrote:
Live chat is certainly the best method of contact as you can keep a copy of the text it is also the method reccomended by the forum mods for billing queries

I've actually got everything in email from the forum mods as I raised this same issue when my payment went to £60.50 a month and been advised the only way to get back to the monthly payment to cover my account is to pay the bill in full and then the monthly fee each month.

I knew after the 3 month period it would increase from £40.50 but only enough to cover the bill and the one-off payments (vision activation, delivery and espn card), but it went to £60.50 due to the one-off fees, coming of the £5 price saver and the incorrect call charges on my account.

I can pay the whole bill at once and continue with the monthly payments, but I don't see why I should have to pay nearly 6 months in advance (3 months for the current bill and then 3 months towards the next bill) for the services I receive.

And I don't wish to switch to the monthly billing as I want to know what I paying out each month and I want the Direct Debit to complete at the beginning of the month and not the end of the month 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

@walkerx wrote:

I can pay the whole bill at once and continue with the monthly payments, but I don't see why I should have to pay nearly 6 months in advance (3 months for the current bill and then 3 months towards the next bill) for the services I receive. 

How is that 6 months in advance? Surely the current bill is for the previous 3 months and then the next 3 monthly payments would be towards the following bill, each of them effectively being just one month in advance.

I'm not sure about the advice you got, though. The last time I had a significant debit I adjusted the monthly payment to the total of one-third of the debit, the monthly package cost, and a bit for extras. That got the following bill roughly in balance, and I've kept it there by readjusting the monthly payment to cover just the monthly package cost and a bit for extras. Any future bill showing a significant debit or credit can be handled easily with a similar readjustment for the following quarter to get the next bill back in balance.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution
You are billed in advance by 3 months and bt mark this as a debit balance so you have to clear this balance and work towards clearing the next bill so it arrives with 0 balance so for 1month you have to pay 4 months payment and then next 2 months payments

this the advice I got and if questioned it as in my view bt are wrongly advising customers of monthly payment and thus reason why you customers complaining of the huge increase in monthly payment
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

That's not my understanding or experience of the Monthly Payment Plan, and you're right to be sceptical about the advice you got. I had a debit of £30 with monthly charges around £50. Your advice seems to be that the only way of clearing this would be an immediate payment of £80 followed by regular payments of £50. Not so. I spread the £30 by making monthly payments of £60 to arrive at a zero balance by the next bill, when I changed the monthly payment back to the regular £50. This keeps the account roughly in balance; should a future debit or credit arise it can be cleared with an appropriate adjustment to the following 3 payments.

A similar calculation would apply whatever the initial debit, though I believe it's possible to clear a debit over 6 months if 3 is not enough. BT may operate some limits to this of course; it would not be good business to allow a customer to carry a large debit for a long period.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

this is what I was told

The Monthly Payment Plan by it’s design is meant to allow you to pay your bill Monthly so the sum can be cleared before your statement is produced. Meaning it allows you to not worry about your bill.

Based on this, BT should be advising customers that they must pay the 1st 3 months in advance and then continue to pay the monthly fee, as you 1st bill is produced immediately and not 3 months later

Even though I was in credit when my last bill was generated, this became a debit because of the 3 months advance rental and have been told to return to a payment of £47.50 which is more than enough to cover package at £42.40 I must pay the full bill of £127 and then start paying the £47.50 which equates to me paying 6 months worth of payments in 3 months with 4 months being paid within 1 month period.

If I switched to quarterly billing I only have the £127 to pay and if switched to monthly direct debit I then only pay the amount each month.

And when you look at these pages it doesn't really explain it much

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14098/~/what-is-a-monthly-payment-plan%3F

0 Ratings