cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Changes to calling plan + line rental saver

Just got a letter saying that I need to pay £3.50 a month or sign a 12month contract in order to keep my free evening & weekends call package. I'm a bit stuck with what to do next because:

1) I already have to pay £2 a month for not meeting the minimum call requirement

2) I work evenings & weekends so if I did make phone calls to meet the minumum call requirement they would be outside of the free evenings & weekends which would be 9p a minute. I also don't have anyone to call (I thought about phoning the speaking clock but I'd never remember). 

3) My ISP now offers cheaper line saver and a line only deal (so no minimum call requirement). If I signed up for the 12month BT contract to avoid the £3.50 a month, that would end in Sept 2014 whereas my line saver would end in March 2014 so I'd end up paying to get out of the evenings & weekends call package which I didn't really want in the first place. 

4) I don't want to be potentially paying £7.50 a month for not having used my phone.

5) I could switch to the Weekend call plan but would have to sign up for a 12month contract which would be the same situation as (2). 

I imagine the only solution to this is go for (5) and pay whatever it costs to break that contract when I switch in March but is there potentially any way around this?

(Before anyone asks why didn't I sign up for a weekend call package rather than the evenings & weekends... when I joined BT the guy on the phone never offered me a weekend call package and given he told me the evenings & weekends one was free, I didn't really think to push this.)

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Changes to calling plan + line rental saver

Welcome to the forum. If you've paid BT for the line until March, don't use the line for calls, and have broadband from another provider, why do you need to do anything? Unless I've missed the point, declining both to pay the extra charge and to take a new contract would simply mean losing a calls package that you don't want anyway.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

BT don't offer 'line only' and the letter says "if we don't hear from you, we'll assume you want to keep your exisiting package, and you'll be charged £3.50 a month, plus your usual line rental, from 1st November 2013" (obv the line rental bit doesn't apply as I pay yearly). 

I don't want to pay £3.50 a month for something I don't want, I also don't want to take out a 12mth contract to avoid this charge because that means I'll have to pay to break the contract 4mths in when I leave BT in March. 

It's a frustrating, as it looks like I'm just going to have to save up in order to break the contract.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

BT changed the line rental rules recently, from inclusive evening and weekend calls to weekend only. So your entitlement to free evening calls has ended and they will charge you to keep them. The £3.50 quoted is mystifying though as the charge is £2.

You should respond to the letter making it clear that you don't want free evening calls (even though their intention to assume you want to keep them is a rather dubious practice).

Try Billing Live Chat and keep a copy of the conversation as proof. If that doesn't resolve it, please come back here. It would be interesting to know where the £3.50 came from if you find out.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 5 of 8

I phoned them this morning and spoke to someone who was able to switch me onto the weekend call package without putting me on a 12mth contract, which solves that problem thankfully.

As for the evening & weekend calls quoted as £3.50, sorry I didn't ask but I assume that the price will be going up from £2 come 1st November to £3.50. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

Godd to see it sorted.

--
0 Ratings
DoomWolf
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I've had exactly the same letter and have been unable to be moved onto the weekend-only call package without being locked in for another 12 months. I've just been on the phone with BT and was told that if I want weekend-only to avoid the £3.50 a month charge, I have to have a new 12 month contract and there is no alternative option. The guy I spoke to could see how stupid it is and could only apologise.

I'm also considering moving my line within the next 12 months (to Sky as a result of my ISP, Be, being taken over and my future migration to Sky Broadband) so a new contract is not acceptable.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
DoomWolf
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Never mind, it's no longer an issue.

I rang Be to ask them if it's possible for me to migrate my telephone line to Sky but keep my Be broadband as it is until that is migrated to Sky next year. As I expected that isn't possible (Be requires a BT line), but they suggested that instead I could change my line rental to Be (so paying them rather than BT).

I knew they did landlines but I'd never considered it before. This way I will save significantly over BT as Be charge £10/month for the line, £1/month for evening & weekend calls and £2.04/month for caller display. BT want to charge me £15.25/month for line rental, £3.50/month for evening & weekend calls and from next year will charge £1.75/month for caller display that I currently have for free.

It also means that when my broadband migration to Sky happens, my line will also seamlessly move over to Sky and consolidate my phone, internet and TV accounts into one. All a result of BT's stubborn, money-grabbing approach. Well done BT, you've managed to persuade another previously happy customer to leave and take his money elsewhere.
0 Ratings